Optical out over wired network

I’m trying to get Roon to connect with my Devialet Phantoms.

Running Roon Server on a headless NUC in a cabinet.

Right now it’s playing over Airplay over a wired network to an Airport Express -> optical out -> phantom

I’d like to replace the Airport express so that I can deliver 192/24 optical into the Phantom

Would a Meridian MS200 do the job? Any additional hardware needed for this?

I have a Raspberry pi 2 with a Hifiberry Digi+ board (w/ optical out) - much cheaper option than the MS200 - any way to use that?

Would very much appreciate some guidance.

Thanks a lot.

MS200 currently runs max 96/24. Depends how much genuine 192/24 material you have. As a network endpoint it works very well.

There were comments about Raspberry pi 2 support as an endpoint with RoonSpeakers by devs in these threads:

Definitely an early target at that stage. @brian may (or may not !) be able to say something further about it.

Edit: Auralic Aries Mini is a pretty interesting product with 192k/24bit Toslink out, not yet released though and will need RoonSpeakers before it can be a network endpoint.

We are actively working on RoonSpeakers for Raspberry Pi now. This configuration will be possible within a few months. If that’s an acceptable solution to you, I would not waste your money on MS200. Use AirPlay for now, and switch to RoonSpeakers once it’s available.

I would go with a NUC that has a 192/24 optical out. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HYEU0C8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00FNPCL36&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=18VN4AM1JRMM7XZ7WR9D

Built mine, 8 GB ram, SSD. Fan doesn’t run at all. Feeding the optical in to a NAD DAC. They sound great and are not that expensive, certainly more than a Pi but waay less than a Meridian. Plus if you decide to go another way later, you have a viable 4k HTPC for use.

Jaw dropping value.

Looks like the best option is to wait.

Thanks

I thought that you could route 24/192 through Dialog and out to the Phantoms? Or is Dialog not out yet.

I have the Dialog. It’s into the Dialog that I want to pump in the 192/24 optical.

The Intel NUC I have does not have optical out.

Ahh. Did not realize you had a nuc. If you get another try the Brix by Gigabyte, much better. Have you thought about a USB to SPDIF converter? That could work as a fix.
Peachtree X1 USB TO SPDIF CONVERTER. Even seems to be onsale.

I also have a pair of Phantoms, a Dialog and a RPI2 with a HifiBerry Digi+ board. While I wait for the imminent release of RoonSpeakers, I’m using Volumio (www.volumio.org). The UI is not great, but it can feed 192/24 to the Phantoms. I’ve also had it feeding DSD64 to my Devialet Expert.

I setup Volumio to pull files stored on my Time Capsule. Nice not to need a server powered on all day.

You should be fine with a wired network connection. I’m using an Edimax AC600 wifi adapter that connects at 433mbps over 802.11a/n/ac . It’s fast enough to play DSD64 and 176/24 FLACs flawlessly. I can playback 192/24 mostly ok, but I get the odd dropout if there is any network load (guess it could also be file access speed coming off the Time Capsule).

cheers,
muski