Optimizing migrating NAS files to Nucleus internal SSD (painfully slow)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus version 1.7 (build 710). On Ethernet.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Remote - Macbook Pro running macOS Big Sur with Roon 1.7 (build 710) on WiFi
NAS Synololgy DS412+ on Ethernet
Century Link modem with Ethernet out to switch which feeds the Nucleus and Synology NAS

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

SimAudio 390 integrated preamp/dac/streamer on Ethernet

Description Of Issue

I just installed a 2T SSD in my nucleus and formatted it. I have all my music files stored on my NAS. I want to copy the music files to the new internal SSD. I use the macbook to set up a Finder window for network access to the NAS files and another Finder window to the Nucleus internal storage SSD. I drag and drop bundles of music folders from the NAS over to the internal storage. I have the NAS set up for enable SMB service and disabled AFP and enable NFS.

The music file transfer process is frustratingly slow even with both the NAS and Nucleus on Ethernet.

I have Roon monitoring the internal SSD disabled. I tried the Roon Power Off feature but it disconnects from my network and breaks the music file transfer.

I’ve done a number of searches and found similar topics, but not exactly my scenario and wish to ask if there are measures I can take to speed up the file transfer process from my NAS to the Nucleus internal SSD? I have been transferring over files in alphabetical artist order and its now taken approximately 18 hours just to get through A, B and C. At this rate it will take a month to move the 2T of my music to the SSD. There has to be a better way.

Thanks in advance
Kenreau

Is your Mac on Wifi? If so, that is the issue probably. Because the copy is actually copying to the MAC first and then from the MAC to the Nucleus. It is not going straight from NAS to Nucleus.

1 Like

Notice that all the files are traveling via your Macbook, which is a lot slower than if you had them go directly from the NAS to the Nucleus. You can mount a remote SMB/CIFS folder on your Synology NAS using File Station https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/help/FileStation/mountremotevolume and then use File Station to copy files/folders from the NAS to the remote folder. That should be possible with the Nucleus as a remote folder, although I don’t have a Nucleus myself to test it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Mac on WiFi. I will get an adapter to go USB to Ethernet and try that.

Thx
Ken

I just did the same thing… Qnap to ROCK. 40 MB/s. 625Gb took about 4 hours. Did the same thing alphabetically.

I’d take the disk out of the nucleus bung it on the back of the Nas with a usb adapter and copy the files at that speed then out it back in the nucleus.

I don’t think you can. If it’s inside the nucleus it’s formatted as a drive letter. I could be wrong, though.

Oh, see what your saying… don’t put the storage inside the Nucleus, but connect it via USB on the exterior.

It’s just a drive. As long as the underlying format is compatible you can attach it to anything. You just need to attach it to something like this

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, I like this USB to SATA adapter idea. Thanks!

Fwiw, I did find a USB to Ethernet adapter to plug my macbook into the network. This has to be 2~3 times faster than using it via WiFi.

Thanks

1 Like

Why would you do that? You can connect your Roon Core to your NAS share.

There are multiple benefits from running the music from a drive that is directly connected to the Nucleus.

2 Likes

I am going to install a 4TB SSD in my Nucleus+ and I’m wondering how it should be formatted. Any suggestions? Im going to use the adapter mentioned above to connect the SSD to my MacBook Pro via USB 3.0 and I’ll format the SSD using the “Disk Utility”. I will then copy files from a USB hard disk to the SSD, about 1TB of music. The USB hard drive is formatted as MacOS Extended (JFS). I’m guessing I can’t format the SSD as APFS and then install it in the Nucleus+ or can I?

It should be formatted via roon before you add any music files to it… theres a kb article that covers installing a drive in your nuc which takes you through the whole process… only takes a few mins

You need to install the drive in the Nucleus and then go to the Nucleus web console and format it. Not sure how it is then formatted, but I don’t think you then want to remove it and connect it to another computer to copy the files. Depending on the format you create compatibility issues. The cleaner way is just install the drive in the Nucleus, format it, and then connect from the MacBook via SMB and then copy over the network. Yes, it will take longer, but if the Nucleus and the MacBook are both connected via ethernet to the same gigabit switch, then copying 1TB should just take several hours. I did it when I first installed my Nucleus and I copied about 2TB on a gigabit switch using Carbon Copy Cloner, I think it took less than eight hours. Just start it one evening and it will done in the morning.

As others have said, the Nucleus will reformat an internal drive when first attached, even if it is the correct format and there is data on it.

Just keep in mind doing it the way you are trying to may be considered “tinkering” and outside of Roon support as you are not following their guidelines.

Ged’s suggestion had the caveat “as long as the underlying format is compatible”. He used a NAS in his example which is Linux like the Nucleus.

However, you are going to attempt to attach it to a MAC. As, I believe that the internal drive of the Nucleus is formatted in ext4, which I do not think is directly supported by MAC. I know it is not by Windows.

Many thanks y’all. I will install the SSD, format via Roon interface, copy music files from MacBook Pro to Nucleus+ via SMB

1 Like

wanted to say many thanks to Ged. I bought an Anker USB 3.0 to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA I/II/III Hard Drive Adapter and pulled my Roon 2TB SSD and plugged it into the back of my NAS. All devices plugged in Ethernet to same switch. My music files transfer speed is in the low-to-mid 90 GB/second. By far the fastest copy/paste transfer I’ve experienced.

For a $12 adapter I’m saving a couple of days of painfully slow copy & paste hassles. Well worth the investment.

Happy New Year
Kenreau

I’d stop mid-transfer and check to see if it all is going to work out once you plug it back into your nucleus. I’d be concerned I transfer it all, plug it back into the nucleus and then it asks to reformat it.

Worth thinking about.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.