Option to resume play at startup

Miss an option to configure Roon to resume playing after a startup …

From my experience I’m not sure how practical this is, Roon does remember where you left off but would you want all your zones to start playing again? This would have to be a per zone setting. Or maybe just for the local playback… then again a pc could have more than one zone locally. What about linked zones?

I can see it’s use but many factors to consider!

It’s an option … Og course you have to tell Core what to do when it starts. If it has only one zone, then it’s simple. Several zones, it’s more complex, obviously. And maybe the only easy use is to be able to resume play on only one zone. It would solve my case … i have only one zone in my living room.

I agree it would be nice to have the option to boot up and hear music! Maybe the option to hear something random from your library…

I would argue against this. In fact I would argue the opposite. Startup is an implementation detail. Instead of “automatically play when I start up” I would prefer “automatically start when I play”.

Meridian systems do that. Everything is off; I pick up my iPad and pick an album to play, in a particular room; the streamer and controller and power amp/speakers turn on and play. And note that I didn’t have to turn on the iPad either, it is always awake in a low power state.

And combine this with the low price of mass produced consumer electronics, compared to high end audio. For the price of a Meridian Sooloos control panel, I can scatter iPads or Surfaces in every room of the house.

So I go anywhere, pick up a control and play some music. Nothing is “turned on”. It’s science fiction,

I mean, of course, that it is like science fiction. It isn’t science fiction, it’s available now with Roon and with Sooloos.

Science fiction is when I go into a room and think about some music and it starts playing. Hey, Danny?

Ooh. I would like Roon to do this with both the Android and iPad apps…

Sorry, I must be missing something??

By Anders description, this is already possible from the Android app…or from the Remote app on Mac / Win…or at least it certainly is with the Meridian network endpoints [ID4x and MS200]

Select Album or Track to play in Roon…Roon Server “sends” beginning of Track to Endpoint…Endpoint "wakes’ the 861 and DSP Speakers…and music plays…no Meridian remote required, as the Meridian default source is set to Aux or Sooloos

Am I missing something??

@AndersVinberg, I agree that this is a great feature of meridian and the integration is very good. I have borrowed an MS600 to trial the link with legacy M kit… It’s really good. Just need the IOS app to make me a very happy man!

@AndersVinberg So the Sooloos app is open? Which settings do you use to send the iPad into a low power state?

No app settings. I just meant that the whole iPad goes into a low power state, automatically after a time-out or when you press the button on the side.

The Sooloos iOS app in fact has a bug: when the iPad wakes up, the Sooloos app has lost its place. In environments like iOS or Windows modern apps (“Metro”) the app can be killed at any time, without much warning, so it needs to be defensive and continuously persist its state. (I know more about Windows than about iOS, but you can plainly see the similar behavior.) For a modern app in Windows, if you switch over to the browser and the app is in the background, the app can no longer do any processing, it is put on the shelf, and while it is on the shelf the OS can kill it to reclaim memory and other resources. This is to preserve battery life. The app is notified on the focus shift and gets a few seconds to persist its state, you can’t save much in a few seconds, so apps must continually persist state.

This goes back to my strong view that we should eliminate the very concept of an app shutdown, of an app session. An app should always come back to the same position and state it was in, after a shift in focus, or sleep, or a hard computer shutdown.

So no more power-on.

In fact, the Tesla has this behavior: when you walk up to it, it welcomes you by extending its door handles. You get inside and drive off. There is no key to turn, there is no start button. Don’t have to turn the car on, in fact you can’t turn it on.

And in Windows 10 you don’t need to log on: the machine will recognize your face and open up.

Imagine how this works with Roon profiles: my wife picks up the tablet, it recognizes her and turns on, and Roon presents her music library, her playlists, her preferences. I pick it up and am in my library.

It is pretty science-fiction-y…

@Anders You are assuming everyone want to startup the remote first. Well, I don’t. For me it’s more easy to just press the start button on my HTPC in the livingroom. So I want to do it my way and you want it your way. Both ways are good solutions and both should be solved.

And I’m pretty shure that these clever 'roon’ies will, hopefully soon.

Actually, I don’t want to start any of them.
I don’t shut down the server because I have a multi-room system, want to be able to start playing anywhere without going to the server to start it. And because the server is continually watching the NAS for new music. And because, well, because servers don’t shut down.

I don’t shut down tablet controllers because I want to be able to pick one up and start music or reading a book or news or mail without boot delay. And tablets have good power management, they go to sleep at various levels and use minimal battery.

End points, amps, speakers, those may shut down, provided they auto start when I play. (TV currently doesn’t do that, I can’t just pick up a tablet and choose something to watch, have to turn on the stupid TV first, have to fix that.)

Of course you can shut down and start things if you want, in any order. To each his own.

I’m just philosophically opposed to me having to manage the equipment. It is there to serve me, not the other way around. My interaction is to start playing something, and to stop playing something, nothing else. Similarly, no electronics boxes are visible in the room, only tablets and speakers.