Whether is nobler in the OS to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous Instability
Or to install and take arms against a sea of trouble

The thirtieth day of September arriveth forthwith
So of thee I do ask this, Sir Danny and team

1 Like

… yes I said yes I will Yes.

4 Likes

I’m usually the local guinea pig for this kind of stuff. I think @danny is still running Mavericks.

…thinking about it.

1 Like

Cool quote!

So can we have a definitive answer here please; is it safe to update to El Capitan, will it cause Roon any problems?

Thanks.
Tim

A lot of audio software and hardware doesn’t yet work on El Capitan, so upgrading could be risky.

Thanks Chris

lots of reported issues with other professional audio applications so will not put El Capitan on my Roon Core mac mini yet. But I will install it shortly on an extra macbook pro used only as a remote to see how that works. Or just on a cloned bootable drive. Frankly I think the Roon guys should have already tried this on the GM release or on today’s release to report back. Maybe we’ll hear something from them tomorrow But never a great idea to rush into a new OS update on your primary computer. I usually start with it on a cloned external drive that I can boot from. Oh yeah, please be sure you have a full backup and preferablu a cloned drive using either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. SuperDuper is BY FAR the best and already updated for El Capitan. I’ve used SuperDuper for 10 years and never a problem and they always update it right away for new OS releases. Highly recommended!

Installed El Capitan today with no major issues. I had to setup my McIntosh D150 again in audio setup though but my other DAC (Chord Hugo) was still in there. Everything thing else seemed to work well and I was even able to setup Roon full screen on another desktop on my iMac.

Many manufacturers seem to have been caught out so I suspect this is Apple showing their usual arrogant and irresponsible behaviour (I speak as a long-time but increasingly disillusioned Mac user). I’ve had advisories not to upgrade from Personus, Steinberg, Native Instruments, Sibelius and MakeMusic. Much worse I’ve found that my Apogee Duet FireWire audio interface/DAC will no longer be supported beyond Yosemite. It’s good to hear the Hugo is working as I’ve been looking at these for a while.

I was close to getting a Mac Mini for audio, but a Windows based system is starting to look very attractive.

Dear All,

This afternoon I downloaded and installed El Capitan on my iMac and Mac Mini. But that’s all. I never got to roon etc. Read an article at the MacWorld website that El Capitan now uses Metal instead of OpenGl. I hope I have this right – it’s the Breen article. Was wondering given roon’s reliance on OpenGL if this will be or become an issue for those of us who have upgraded (already). I am ot knowledgeable about GUI so I am just thinking outloud. If it’s a non-issue now and for the future, then excuse my post/thread.

Logically, I would imagine roon Labs is not going to be caught off guard with changes that would defeat how the UI/UX/EM works because of the release of the new, touted as rock solid, OSX. My first experience is that it appears rock solid. And wonder what, if anything, the upgrade with El Capitan provides roon Labs with that inures to our benefit. Anything? Or a continuation of a glorious UI/UX/EM that I have come to rely on.

My iMac upgraded in less than 30 minutes. My Mac Mini took longer, and I moved on to other matters. It’s now early October 1st, and I should be asleep. Will visit roon later this morning to view what changes if any accompany the update.

Best,
Richard

Hi Richard,

This thread was opened in Support:

Hello andybob,

Thank you for the reminder!

Ooops! Sorry. Now that I recall reading the thread/post. What to do about duplicating a thread I started that I could have posted in the thread already started? or can someone delete my thread and move my post. I am certaintly happy to cooperate.

Best,
Richard

Merging threads is beyond my poor powers :smile:
@Carl or Nick @ncpl will merge it for us.

Threads merged, thanks for the heads up.

Thank you Carl. Sorry about the duplicate thread. Appreciate your intervention.
Best,
Richard

1 Like

FYI – moving this to the Software section guys, as it’s more of a discussion thread than a support issue

Other than having to set up my DAC again, absolutely no issues with Roon and El Capitan whatsoever on my 2015 iMac or 2013 MacBook Pro.

Hello Mike,
I concur. Thank you as well. Sorry for inconveniencing anyone by posting in the wrong location etc.
Best,
Richard

I’ve had no problems with the upgrade to El Capitan. My setup is straightforward, a headless Mac Mini driving the Dac (Resonessence Invicta) via Usb.