OS X : Issue with Roon Remote [Resolved]

Thank you for the follow up @LittleScarabee!

Continuing forward, I am going to enable diagnostics on your account so our techs can have a closer look into this behavior. What this action will do is the next time the application is active on both the core machine and the mentioned remote a diagnostics report containing a set of Roon logs will automatically be uploaded to our servers. Once the report has been received I will touch base again, so you know we have it.

-Eric

Hi @Eric

Thanks for your support.
I playing my songs this morning since 3 hours now without any issue.
I soon as I heard any issue I’ll provide you the date and time.

Thanks

UPDATE_1 03-MAR-18 09:11 PM UTC+1 :
I had one issue after 4 hours : I tested a new power supply on my DAC, but after clean the queue and play again the previous song : no issue. I’ll keep you informed

UPDATE_2 03-MAR-18 03:15 PM UTC+1 :

• At 10:05 AM UTC+1 : Pink sound appear (AIFF 16/44) ; click on next issue disappeared
  • At 10:15 AM UTC+1 : Pink sound appear (AIFF 16/44) ; click on next issue disappeared
  • At 03:05 PM UTC+1 : Music was in pause during 5 hours. I changed hardware on Roon Server : replace the memory by another model. After boot the server and play the song I hear some cuts.

Action done after :
1 / Clean the queue and launch a new album : Issue still here.

https://imgur.com/XhbouxI

2 / Kill the application RoonRemote on my MacBook Pro. RoonRemote relaunched on my MacBook Pro after and same album played : issue disappeared.

https://imgur.com/cszjvcC

UPDATE_3 03-MAR-18 08:00 PM UTC+1 :
I hear some cuts in the sounds (Roon Server still online since this morning). I just click on button “pause” on Roon Remote on my MacBook Pro and the problem disappear !

UPDATE_4 05-MAR-18 08:40 AM UTC+1
Roon Server was stopped since1 day. After power on the server I cleaned the queue and I hear some cuts, album played bought on Qobuz.com :

https://imgur.com/r5vwpog

Tasks done :
1 / Pause and play the song : KO ; issue still here
2 / Playing the song I disable the DSP : OK ; issue disappeared
3 / Playing the song I enable the DSP : KO ; issue still here

https://imgur.com/oU3AGVv

4 / Playing the song I change the upscaling from 352 to 384 : OK ; issue disappeared

https://imgur.com/XxGAT43

5 / Playing the song I change the upscaling from 384 to 352 : OK ; issue still not here >> In fact, I’m back to the original configuration.

https://imgur.com/oU3AGVv

Thanks

Hi @eric

Did you received all logs on your side ?
If yes, did you see some issue ?

On my side I still have the issue and the workaround I found it’s to disable and enable the DSP Engine in Roon (some time I need to do it twice).

Thanks for your support.

Hi @LittleScarabee ---- Thank you for touching base and my apologies for the slow response here.

My sincerest apologies, we did receive the mentioned diagnostics report(s) (+ logs) which are with our tech team, who has you know, have been handling the analysis of this information. I can see that your ticket is still in their queue and in the interest of expediting this process for you to the best of my ability I have increased the priority of the ticket and placed a a formal feedback request with the team.

I would like to ensure that our team see’s the log traces from this most recent round of tests you have performed and as before I have enabled diagnostics on your account. A friendly reminder that the report will be received the next time Roon is active on both the core machine and the mentioned remote.

-Eric

Hi @eric

No worries. Thanks for your reply and your help : I very appreciate the efforts done by you and tech team.
This morning I received the last update on my MacBook Pro for Roon Remote (v1.4 build 306) and on my Roon Server (v1.4 build 306). I’ll keep you informed if the issue still here or not during the next days.

Thanks.

Hi @LittleScarabee ---- Thank you for your understanding and more importantly, thank you for your patience!

I was reviewing all of your feedback this morning and my concern is that the MacBook Pro Remote (15" 2.53 GHz mi-2009) is suffering from some kind of performance issue being as these behavior seem to be intermittently disappearing and reappearing. This has occurred even when the same album/settings are being used.

While we wait for our techs to complete their evaluation of the received diagnostics I would recommend the following test scenarios:

1. A hardwired connection with the MacBook Pro.

• I know myself and others in this thread have inquired about this test and it is still unclear to me if this was ever performed. Can you please verify if it has been, and if it has not I would strongly consider giving this test a shot.

Mention #1: Additionally, knowing how the MBP responds when making use of a hardwired connection would also be a good data point to have.

Mention #2 When you reported this behavior with the mentioned that you were hearing “some cuts” on the laptop acting as your Roon remote. Myself and wizardofoz had suggested the following test:

“I agree with the advice given in @wizardofoz’s previous post and would highly recommend testing with different sample rates with no upsampling involved. Additionally, knowing how the MBP responds when making use of a hardwired connection would also be a good data point to have.”

2. If you have the ability to do so, can you you verify what the experience is like when using a different DAC?

-Eric

Hi @eric

Thanks for your reply. Reminder of my configuration :

• 1 x PC dedicated for RoonServer (Fanless server with Linux Fedora 27 kernel CCRMA)
  • 1 x PC dedicated for RoonBridge (Olimex Lime 2 4Gb with ARMbian as Operating System)
  • 1 x Laptop dedicated for RoonRemote (MacBook Pro with El Capitain as Operating System)
  • Link between : RoonServer and RoonBridge = wired

Why did you say me my MacBook Pro is too old today ?
What is the link with my issue ?
I understood there is no link / flows between RoonRemote and RoonServer. The flow it’s only between RoonServer and RoonBridge

Unless the iPad or the MacBook Pro are playing the music (acting as endpoints), none of the music traffic goes through them. You should be able to do just about anything to a Roon Remote and the music will keep playing at least until the track ends. The traffic is between the Roon Core and the Roon Bridge with the Roon Remotes controlling the Roon Core.

What is the impact to use lan connection instead of wireless for RoonRemote ?
In fact if there is any impact I could understand, but we do not have to use iPad or any smarphone to manage Roon only fixed pc, correct ?

To be honest I cannot reminder if I perform this test or not : in doubt I’m doing it today and for the next days.

I already change the upscaling : no upscaraling = issue still here ; with upscaling = issue still here ; change the upscaling to 192 = issue still here ; disable or enable DSP = issue still here. And I got the issue with differents album.

Yesterday evening : I did a clean installation on my server >> Operating System and RoonServer. This morning I got the issue but my MacBook used wireless connection. Since 10:00 AM this morning I use wired connection.

It’s not possible for me today to change or borrow one DAC. I’ll try but I’m not sure.

I hope to reply to all of your questions.

Thanks

UPDATE 01:07 PM 09-MAR-18 :
Configuration : RoonRemote launched on MBP by using wired connection
I hear some cuts after select a another album (16/44 DSP Enable + Upscaling Enable). Tasks done :
1 / Disable DSP > OK ; issue disappeared
2 / Enable DSP after 10 seconds > OK ; issue still not here

Thank you for clarifying that details of your setup to me @LittleScarabee, the reminder is very appreciated!

Continuing forward, I wanted to see if you have continued to test with a wired connection and what the experience has been like since making this change. I know you had mentioned that you heard a dropout but then the issue disappeared. Have things remained stable? Additionally, our techs have made mention that in the logs we received attached to the diagnostics report they are seeing traces that indicate signs of networking troubles, so I am eager to hear what the experience has been like with a hardwired connection.

Additionally, if you mount the 2Qute Chord to the machine hosting RoonServer and play directly from the server through the 2Qute do you make the same observations as when you use the MBP?

-Eric

Hi @eric

Thanks for all.

The communication is better since I using the wired connection to be honest. I’ll perform more tests tomorrow during the day and provide you a feedback after. Because since my last message : I did not listen my music.

Additionally : I connected my DAC directly to my RoonServer by end of this week-end (:wink: we have the same approach) to identify if the issue is on my network (switch ? cable ?). I’ll perform my test tomorrow in this configuration.

I think I’ll bought a new RJ45 cable (S/STP or S/FTP) to confirm if the issue is located on my cable or not.

1 Like

Wonderful, thank you very much @LittleScarabee!

-Eric

Hi @eric

After 1 day : no issue ! :smile:
Used the server directly connected to my DAC : OK
The issue it’s on my network after change the power supply of my switch this morning : no issue during the day ! it’s wonderfull !

In my point of view : we can consider this issue solved ! thanks for all ! :grinning::grinning:

Thanks

Very pleased to hear things are now stable, and functioning as expected @LittleScarabee!

Happy listening!
-Eric