Output Issues with Roon 2.0 on Nas Core

Sorry to hear that, I’ve been struggling with similar issues since the 2.0 update.

Here’s my setup:
Roon Core: Roon 2.0 on Synology DS620 (DSM7)
Network: Linksys Router, firewall disabled

Connected Audio Devices
Three categories of devices

1. Ethernet/wifi connected Airplay devices
  2. Ethernet connected Roon certified decoder/pre-amp
  3. Mac/iOS clients running Roon remote as endpoints, including iMAC(m1), Mac Book Pro, iPhone (different versions), iPad Pros

Issue description

1. While lunching Roon remote client on any category 3 clients, 8 out of 10 times the local output is missing from sound devices. Type 1 & 2 end points are correctly listed and work fine.
  2. For iOS devices (phone, pads), killed the running Roon remote app and re-launch it, device local output appears and works, 9 out of 10 times.
  3. On mac computers (iMac/Macbooks, wifi or ethernet connected), kill and relaunch the app doesn’t fix it. However, launch Roon remote from ANOTHER device (iOS/Mac), go to settings/audio. Just that, the local audio output options in the affected mac computer. WILL APPEAR.

Based on above experience of mine, it’s not likely a networking/firewall related issue.
These “work-arounds” didn’t alter any setting in the network or devices, yet it solved the issue in each instance, reliably.
It seems Roon core need a “triggered refresh” , to correctly identify and broadcast audio endpoints, for devices running Roon remote.

See if these walk arounds works in your environment. And hope a permanent fix is on the way.
After all, this wasn’t an issue in the past.

Hi @daniel_yang,

I’ve split off your reply into its own thread to ensure it receives proper attention. Following up here, please refresh your RAAT Server via the steps below and let me know if you continue to experience this issue:

You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

Thanks!

Thanks Benjamin,

Have followed the exact steps as described.
After restarting Roon, no new RAATServer folder was generated.

However the software still works including playback, with the same missing end points issue described earlier.
let me know where should I look into, or more information is requred.
thanks.

Thanks for giving that a try @daniel_yang.

Could you next please reproduce the issues you mention above, and share the specific date and time when you are reproducing them?

1 Like

Hi ben,

It still happens regularly, including after the recent 1211 update.
the latest instance Feb17, 15:46 local time,
upon launch roon remote on iMac, local sound device was missing

go Settings/ Audio, only network connected options, no iMac local devices

Right after launch roon on my iPhone, ON THE IMAC the local devices automatically appeared in the audio listings.

This still happens on each new restart of roon core or the remote apps.
I was wondering, will a fresh re-install fix it?

Hey @daniel_yang,

A fresh install certainly wouldn’t hurt to try! Steps to follow below:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

With that, I’m not able to see the iMac on your account. Could you please reproduce the issue and upload a set of manual logs from the issue iMac? Please use the directions found here and send over a set of iMac logs to our File Uploader.

Thanks!

Thanks Ben,

I have reproduced the issue and upload an archived copy of NAS core/server log, named after my community user.

1 Like

Thanks for sending those over @daniel_yang!

We were able to locate when the dropout happens in logs. It does point towards a networking issue. More specifically, it could be an issue around your wifi network interfering with multicast traffic.

Logs, paired with the symptoms you’re experiencing - things on wifi working for a bit and then disappearing after about 20 minutes or so are key indicators here.

As a next step, take a look through your router configuration and disable any features related to multicast (unless it’s something like “enable multicast over wifi”) or IGMP snooping.

Essentially, your router thinks that the multicast device is acting up so in order to protect the network, it blocks all traffic to that device for a bit.

Let me know how the above goes. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.