Over 400 reports of corrupted and dead Roon systems is not “rather rare” in my book

According to @Danny the actual amount is 0.03%, so yes, 400 was a red herring. It’s more like 75.

I’m not sure how he’s got to that figure, and whether it’s solely related to the corrupt database issue or lost albums problem. It’s certainly dented my confidence in Roon however, but maybe I just had an unrealistic attitude to computer audio and reliability.

1 Like

0.03%, given the introduction of the new database integrity check, sounds pretty reliable to me. I guess I might feel different if I’d had problems with the update, but from Roon’s point of view I suspect they consider this a success.

2 Likes

Its not a success… We’ve clearly done bad.

but it’s not a crisis either.

9 Likes

Fair enough, and I think a lot of the community will applaud you for putting your hand up and saying so.

You’re right, that number “400” was dubiously extrapolated from another thread where I happened to mention that there were nearly 500 beta testers prior to the release of build 880.

Source of “400”

It’s an amazing example if where a comment has been taken, revised & used to produce a “fact” which actually has no substance but has, in 4 days permeated many threads.

@danny has openly given the stats, & for the record he stated that the Roon user base is currently circa 250k which is a good place to start calculations.

:roll_eyes:

6 Likes

I still don’t follow the 250k figure…

When you subscribe to roon you get a community account, the number of community accounts is just over 49,000 at the moment.

Run a credit search against Roon and the revenue is said to be $5-10 million which equates to 40,000 - 80,000 subscriptions at $120 per year. Add in purchased lifetime subscriptions and I think the number is closer to a max of 100,000

Even the main Roon web page says “join over 100,00 music lovers”

I agree. Danny’s candour is welcome, and I appreciate that context is relevant here.

1 Like

The number is actually quite a bit higher than that now. That number was from many months ago.

This is a bad assumption and false information. The community accounts are created on demand at first login.

Need idea, if it wasn’t completely off. Our payroll and metadata expenses exceed the higher end of your guess.

The totals are off because your revenue number is off, but you are also forgetting about our global Nucleus business, other revenue sources that aren’t public, and the new Roon Store. As for subscriptions, you are forgetting the accommodation subscriptions we give to certain groups (manufacturers, dealers, distributors, press, and friends). It’s a massive number. There is also the greater revenue that comes from monthly subscribers.

Not easy to guess all this and more. It’s a complicated business, but then again, what isn’t?

That’s marketing and it already way higher than 100k back then. My guess is the next step there is 500k or 1 million, but that’s not my area :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I doubt anyone is lying about it. Why question it? I suspect Roon knows how many customers they have.

1 Like