Roon Search Overhauled [2021-12]

A post was merged into an existing topic: Search for Handel Returns Mozart as Top Result

No, I saw the post, but so what? The fact was still that our experience with the “new search” touted in the release notes was odd and disconcerting. The reassurance that such things maybe won’t happen any more at some undisclosed and unknowable point in the future doesn’t really help much with that first impression.

Or am I wrong again? Will some flag pop up when the old outdated set of aliases are finally cleared out, so that the user can know what to think about it?

While the new search is certainly much better, there are still some gross errors. For example a search for “Beethoven Symphony 3” doesn’t find the composition:

And a search for “Mozart Piano Sonata 3” returns the right sonata but by the wrong composer.

@zenit - what is the best way to communicate these issues to you? Do you want them raised individually, or put in the general build 880 thread, or should there be one thread just for build 882 search issues?

1 Like

@mike

Yes I was wrong with the spelling of the name. So sorry. :frowning:

A post was split to a new topic: Search (build 880): typos not yielding good results

Thanks for asking, and thanks for posting. It’s good to keep all these examples here within this thread.

1 Like

First and foremost, thanks for all the continuing work you have put into the search feature. Is it perfect? No. But it does a pretty damn good job, especially compared to other products out there.
Oddities in non-classical searches in Tidal…
The original album “What’s Going On” does not appear in the discography of Marvin Gaye… but it does show up if you search on the title.
A search on Gladys Knight will result in her solo albums and some with The Pips, but not all. A search on Gladys Knight & The Pips will return all of them. BTW, Tidal treats them both as one entity.

I know it’s irritating when people say it works ok for me, but I have Qobuz and I’ve got five versions of “What’s Going On” in Marvin Gaye’s discography.

Interesting… I only have 61 main albums for Marvin Gaye in Tidal. Is your total of 129 main albums just in Tidal, or does it include other sources?

Qobuz and mine

Searching for “trip to the moon” or “trip to the moon acen” does not return Acen’s - Trip to the Moon Pt.2.

Only the exact track title “Trip to the Moon Pt.2” yields a hit. I’m guessing the “Pt.2” in the track name is confusing the search engine.

Do you use qobuz or tidal, or do you have that music locally? If you’re not seeing something similar to this, there might be some issue.

I have both Qobuz and Tidal but do not have the track locally.

The search now appears to be working however. I take it, something has been altered at your end as this search has not worked using the Android client when I tried earlier today and a couple of weeks ago?

An apostrophe is the difference here between no results and wished for results

.sjb

2 Likes

Try having O’Neill for a surname. VB must have a lot to answer for in Ireland :ireland:

1 Like

There have definitely been some changes in the recent weeks, but there were none in the past few days that should have affected this specific query. Could it be your android app was not yet updated?

I have the same problem with Qobuz. Unless the artist is in my library, searches do not check Qobuz. I think there is a bug here

1 Like

Does the algorithm mess with ending “s”?

I have qobuz integrated. When I search for “Jansons Brahms Symphony”, or “Jansons Brahms Symphonies”, it only return 2 results.

But yet when I search for “Jansons Brahms Symphonie”, then it shows more matching results, even though the “1-4” album should show up in the Symphonies search as it is right there in the album title.

It happens to many other such combo search in classical category (not sure if it is there for other categories too)

I am on latest version.

I experienced a possibly similar problem searching for “Beethoven Symphony 5 Kleiber” - the new search didn’t find it because the album is called “Beethoven Symphonien …”. But I pointed that out to @zenit and he has evidently fixed it, for now it works fine.

1 Like