Overpay or be environmentally friendly?

Why not just stream it and go see them live?

No matter how, get it. It’s a great album especially with headphones or iem. Personally I tagged it on Qobuz and ordered the art book, cd, bluray from Burning Shed in England to Canada. Still not here of course but Qobuz is giving me my fix for now. Once here it will be ripped in all available formats, run through PGGB, loaded to roon and video added to plex. I’m not sure the final cost but worth it to me.

I saw them live, on their 50th anniversary tour. I still like to buy albums.

4 Likes

Well, there’s your answer.

There are still two choices though.

No, there are three.
-Buy the cd, rip it and have useless plastic
-Buy the album to add to your collection
-Stream it

If you sell the C.D. you lose the right to have the rip as far as U.K. law is concerned, not sure about the rest of the world.

3 Likes

For me, only two are mutually exclusive.

Well, some like physical media and some don’t. I live in a tiny Brooklyn apartment and already have too much stuff. I just want to listen to music. Easy decision for me.

1 Like

256K MP3 which is fine whilst waiting for the vinyl to be delivered

2 Likes

I only buy cd/lp at concerts to directly support the artist, otherwise its digital.

1 Like

I like to look at physical media, not to play. (Loading VHS tapes kind of gives me ASMR, but I can’t think of anything else.) Unfortunately, not everything we like is healthy.

Oh, I forgot one: the Beatles’ USB: https://a.co/d/8MLvWJc

I’m totally into supporting artists - that’s why I’m buying albums - but maybe they should stop pressing those.

So did I, at the Florida Theater in Jacksonville, a pretty awesome night!

1 Like

Steve Howe was EXTREMELY. impressive, I hope I can still play at a 100th of his level when I get to his age (if I get to his age :roll_eyes:)

That is what hooked me on Roon, the looking (at metadata). Anywho, I think it’s unhealthy to not have any unhealthy habits…

I just rip everything as well and shelve the disc. The only physical product I buy now are out-of-print masterings, box sets, and DVD-A/SACD. If it is attainable via Qobuz and/or Bandcamp, I prefer to go that route and skip the packaging altogether. But that is just me.

And I went the Sublime+ route because I like supporting Qobuz. I just do. Some years I save money with the higher subscription, some years I don’t. I don’t really care. I like Qobuz. Bandcamp is close to my heart as well but for different reasons.

1 Like

I’m not playing anything, so I just hope I get to that age :slight_smile:

1 Like

I totally like Qobuz, I found many albums there I didn’t know were available for download. My problem is that by getting Sublime I would also vote for hi-res. I don’t want to encourage a system that uses resolution for price tiering.