Parallel Roon-Profile-Streams and Qobuz as Backend

Hi together,

I am thinking about using roon with Qobuz as backend in my family.

But I’m not sure about what will happen, if I play via profile 1 on roon and someone start playing via profile 2 and 3 as they are all using the same qobuz account in the backend… Will they kick each other out?

Many thanks

Just tested three different Qobuz streams concurrently on three endpoints to make sure that it positively works.

Sounds good.

Thanks for testing!

Does anyone know an “hard limit” for this?

No, but I guess it’ll be limited by your internet bandwidth only.

You can play multiple streams, no issue

Multiple streams of the same track (i.e. Groups) or multiple tracks through non-grouped endpoints?

For an answer to your question, just read my first post in this thread once more…

Hm, im not sure what the users will do. Is this relevant as playing the same or different tracks by different userprofiles makes a difference?

You can play whatever you want wherever you want

1 Like

What I was wondering is if Qobuz sees this scenario as multiuser (e.g. Family plan). Frankly I expected that only one stream from Qobuz (through one endpoint or one group) would be allowed through Roon on the regular Qobuz plan.

Well, i just tested it
2 Roon - Qobuz albums to different endpoints + Qobuz app on my iPad playing a 3rd album.
There you go

1 Like

As stated repeatedly by several fellow users and myself - no problem with a standard account.

Now, if you stream Qobuz through Roon, but then start another stream in Qobuz’s app, that stops Roon.

No, family plans as such are not supported. There are feature requests for this so that each Roon profile would use its own profile on a Qobuz family plan (and have separate Qobuz favorites). But this is not possible yet.

However, as stated, within Roon you can use a regular Qobuz account for multiple streams to your heart’s content

Thanks to all.

Sounds great and I don’t understand why roon should implement the possibility to link family-Qobuz-plans.

I mean, ok, possibilities are great in general but buying ONE Qobuz account and managing the favorites in roon makes much more sense for me as buying several accounts waste more money and manage the favorites in the backend (Qobuz).

Anyway. I think my question has been answered.

Not when I tested 2 hours ago

As mentioned, for one it would allow different family members to have their own Qobuz favorites and to use Qobuz independently outside of Roon.

There might be other reasons that are probably discussed here:

On a regular account, not family?
That’s interesting…

Depends on how many devices Qobuz allows simultaneously. Tidal allows more than one these days. Roon counts as one device as only the core is authenticating things.

Family plans and server based systems are not feasible due to api restrictions of the authentication system at this time.Only way around this would be to have one main Roon account and for each user to have a sub accounts which is linked to each profile which is overly complicated.

This is how Plex manages to get round it. You have one master library account user and they share this library with other users in the family. But each user needs their own Plex account. If they want streaming they can’t use the master serves account ans it’s not feasible so they have to link their family plan login for each of their own Plex accounts and only use their own account for playback all the time.

Sonos is the only system that manages family accounts in a reasonable way as there is no central server each Sonos app on the users phone/tablet is authenticating and instigating the streams not the Sonos devices themselves. It then sends on the url and token to the player. You have to choose which account to use before playing. I imagine this does stop that family member from playing on other devices if you used their account by mistake.

For Roon to achieve this would be a huge change to how it works currently and not sure it’s really feasible with how family accounts work.

Also the added strain on the core would be quite significant as it would need to manage multiple databases remember Roon core hosts and manages the library regardless of its streaming or local they are all treated the same so this would increase processing, syncing and minimum requirements no doubt.