Passing custom settings to hardware

Hi,
I have my own DSP configuration app and audio hardware and would like to pass parameters via Roon and receive it on the other end at my audio hardware. I need to send e.g. 6-8 bytes as one settings message, so it is clearly not doable using simple Roon settings service thal allows to add some simple GUI buttons only if I understand it coorectly.
Is there a possibility in Roon to transport custom messages to the receiving hardware ?

Regards, Pawel

No, there is no such possibility and because of the potential risk of harm to hardware or listeners, it’s very unlikely that Roon will ever facilitate such a possibility.

However, you can take a look at Roon’s own API for extensions. If you’re a programmer, or just want to learn something new, this might allow you to accomplish your needs. As you weren’t very specific about your needs, you might also want to take a look at a list of already available Roon Extensions. Maybe one of these already does what you want.

Thanks for the answer.

No, there is no such possibility and because of the potential risk of harm to hardware or listeners, it’s very unlikely that Roon will ever facilitate such a possibility.

I am not sure what you mean - can you give an example how it could harm to hardware or listeners ? I can imagine only one possibility that accidentally my message bytes would be intepreted as a Roon native message and e.g. put volume to max. But that depends on the details of the communication protocol they use. If it has some more extended internal structure this risk might not exist.

As you weren’t very specific about your needs,

So an example use case would be let say in my audio hardware I have DSP for acoustic correction and I have my own Windows GUI application to set filter parameters. Once set I would like to reamch to Roon Javasrpit API and have them delivered using Roon to my hardware - let’s say 10 custom bytes that Roon could pack into some message header clearly to avoid conflicts with standard messages - can be done all too easily and probably is architected this way already. Any ideas how this could be done ?

Regards Pawel.

Giving users the ability to send random commands/codes to arbitrary devices may very well cause harm. Just because you might know what you do, doesn’t mean that there is no potential risk for others.

Roon is a music browser and streaming product and not an arbitrary home automation solution.

There is some - very limited - support for device control (like e.g. Power On/OFF) for specific and well known devices and that’s it.

In it’s current architecture, Roon Server talks to Roon Endpoints which talk then to audio devices connected to them. No talk to OS or arbitrary programs that run there and surely no talk to machines that don’t run Roon. If you need a possibility to react on events in Roon or send audio stream control commands, use it’s API.

Roon has this built in. You’re maybe better off, using the built-in solution.

There is some - very limited - support for device control (like e.g. Power On/OFF) for specific and well known devices and that’s it.

There should be more, the Roon settings service API should allow to create custom commads although it seems these cannot be very extensive ?
So I mean settings service but with many custom options.

send audio stream control commands, use it’s API.

What stream control commands can be used ?

Roon has this built in. You’re maybe better off, using the built-in solution.

I appreciate but here I rather will not be.

Regards Pawel

It’s up to you then, to start a feature request for it.

I’m surely not posting the API specifications in here. direct link