Peachtree Nova USB DAC issues (Roon Bridge Pi3) [Resolved]

EDIT: Added a screenshot of the Peachtree settings seen in Roon remote.
EDIT 2: Added dmesg output which is showing some errors

Hi everyone,

@support

I recently finished building a Raspberry Pi 3 based Roon Bridge (according to the instructions found here). Once finished I restarted everything, and the bridge was immediately found by Roon:

After enabling the Peachtree output, I switch to the new zone and tried to play a song - no luck. After pressing play, the song immediately stops. Tried different files, with the same result. I re-connected everything, updated/upgraded Raspbian, restarted all devices but with no change. To verify the Core -> Bridge connection I connected the HDMI on the Raspberry to my TV, and enabled the output. Worked like a charm, so the Bridge seems to be working fine (at least over HDMI).

I’m getting no error messages or any indication that something is wrong, so not sure how to proceed. The Peachtree Nova DAC works perfectly with another device using the same cable and USB input (Nvidia Shield TV, Android).

Just in case I tried aplay -l, and see that the Peachtree is recognized:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: Inter [Peachtree Audio 24/96 USB Inter], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1

Edit 2:
Here is the output from dmesg:
[95229.964729] usb 1-1.5: Product: Peachtree Audio 24/96 USB Interface
[95229.964742] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: Peachtree Audio
[95229.964754] usb 1-1.5: SerialNumber: 0000
[95235.869242] usb 1-1.5: 10:0: cannot get min/max values for control 2 (id 10)
[95237.642105] usb 1-1.5: 10:0: cannot get min/max values for control 2 (id 10)
[95279.727264] usb 1-1.5: 1:1: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[95279.827738] usb 1-1.5: 1:1: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[95279.928124] usb 1-1.5: 1:1: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[95280.028506] usb 1-1.5: 1:1: usb_set_interface failed (-32)

Any suggestions are much appreciated - thank you in advance!

Regards,
Patrick

Hi @Patrick_Jakiel ----- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here.

Based on your feedback, I see that you were able to access and use the Nova DAC via another device (Nvidia Shield TV, Android). Can you verify for me if you can achieve playback to Nova using another audio application or media player from your core computer? I would like to determine if this issue is isolated to Roon specifically.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Thank for the reply. Just so I understand - do you mean connecting the Nova to the Roon Core directly (QNAP NAS)?

I’ve added the output from dmseg, which is showing something seems to be wrong when connecting the USB DAC.

Patrick

Hi @Patrick_Jakiel ----- My apologies for the confusion here and please allow me to clarify my request.

I must have missed in your report that you are running you core on a NAS :dizzy_face: The thought here was to try and determine if sending audio content from another program or media player to this end point would result in the same outcome.

-Eric

Not your fault - it wasn’t mentioned. :slight_smile:

Because of the output from dmesg I’m starting to realize this might be more of a Raspbian issue than Roon Audio, obviously would still love to hear if anyone has some ideas what can be done.

Hi @Patrick_Jakiel ----- My apologies for the slow response here.

I dropped one of my developers a line yesterday in regard to this behavior you have been experiencing and he has suggested trying to change the “volume control” setting to “fixed” to see if that triggers a change in behavior here.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I forgot to mention that I’ve tested all the settings in the Roon Remote for this audio source. Just in case I went on an switched to “fixed volume”. Same result when trying to play (skips all tracks), and dmesg gives the following:

[35378.895312] usb 1-1.5: 1:1: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[35378.995799] usb 1-1.5: 1:1: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[35379.096184] usb 1-1.5: 1:1: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[35379.196571] usb 1-1.5: 1:1: usb_set_interface failed (-32)

Could it be that the Peachtree DAC is compatibility issues with the Raspbian kernel? That would be a bummer!

Patrick

Hi @Patrick_Jakiel ----- Sorry for the delay here, I wanted to touch base and see how things were going. Has any new progress been made here?

Moving forward, could you please verify the following for me:

1. When you are trying to stream your RPi3 end point are there any other application or functions that may be trying to take control of the sound card in that unit?

2. From your initial report I can see that the Pi is working when connected to your TV via HDMI which is good because as you have already state we know the bridge is working. If you were to use the DAC in a different configuration (i.e mounted to another device) does it function as it should?

-Eric

Hi Eric - no worries!

I decided to buy a DIGI+ for my Pi3, installed it two days ago and it’s working like a charm. I assume my DAC simply isn’t compatible with this Linux kernel, will leave it at that.

Thanks for you help!
Patrick

1 Like