PecanPi -- Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #177

The are the standard .75" center to center.

(Mr Fix It ) #178

Well standard or not they seem dangerously close to touching if you have any heavy weight speaker cables. Maybe the image is making it look closer than it is, but if there is no insulation on them I fear the worst could happen.

I would explicitly caution users to not attempt connecting or removing while the amps are powered for sure just to be on the safe side.

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #179

Speaker cables should not be moved from any amplifier when it’s powered regardless of how close the binding posts are.

(Mr Fix It ) #180

Sage advice Leo but sadly not adhered to by too many.

(Mike) #181

Most HiFi equipment uses a 1” spacing for speaker terminals these days due to EU regulations. European power outlets have a 19mm spacing, so a 3/4” banana plug spacing was deemed unsafe.

1 Like
(Mr Fix It ) #182

That’s why most of the Japanese amps ship with binding post plugs installed

(Binky) #183

So… ten orders in total then :rofl:

I hope you’ve had many more since May and that you get many more :+1:

I’m tempted myself :thinking:

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #184

As of right now I have a total of 39 orders. I will start shipping the preorders in the next two weeks. Soon after that PecanPi products will be in stock and shipping within a few days of being ordered.

(Binky) #185

Good to hear :+1:

I was just catching up on unread topics and I thought it amusing you’d said 90% wanted the case but one 1 didn’t… I want the case as it looks great.

You’re getting good reviews so I’m tempted :thinking:

1 Like
(Michael) #186

Hah! I was the one that didn’t initially order the case deciding that I would build it myself. It took me awhile to realize I’m far better at procrastination than I am at building cases. So I then ordered a couple cases from Leo to go with the DACs I had ordered early on.

Can’t wait to get them!

1 Like
(Leo Ayzenshtat) #187

PecanPi preorders have started shipping.

If you have a preorder be on the lookout for an email with tracking information.

The first 6 packages went out today.

All pre orders will be shipped within 2-3 weeks.

1 Like
(Michael) #188

Got my two PecanPi DACs and cases this week and just finished putting the 1st one together using an rPi 3B. Having had time to play with one a few months back, I was eager to receive a production version. Damn, it sounds even better than I remembered. Clarity, detail, and highly musical.

FWIW, I ordered the DAC HATs and cases from Orchard Audio and picked up the Raspberry Pis and micro SD cards separately. Downloading and installing Ropieee to the microSD card took all of maybe 10 minutes, with another 30 minutes to get the Streamer put together and operational. Booted it up and Roon saw it within minutes. Total piece of cake.

My intent in buying two was to replace a couple of Squeezebox Touches that, while still working great with Roon, simply didn’t sound nearly as good as the PecanPi Streamer. With that said, the Squeezebox Touch were a great piece of tech in their time and amazingly well supported by Roon.
But DAC technology has improved quite a bit in the nearly 10 years since it was released. And certainly, this PecanPi DAC is extraordinary for its pricepoint, rPi integration, and as a Roon endpoint.

Lovin’ it!

3 Likes
(Leo Ayzenshtat) #189

Glad you found it to be better. I made a few tweaks to the production version, from the prototype that you tried a few months back.

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #190

PecanPi products are now in stock and shipping within a few days.

You can get 15% off your order by posting a review to the product page. (This cannot be combined with any other offers/discounts)

https://orchardaudio.com/shop?olsPage=products

(thomas clark) #191

Leo,

Ive recieved my pecan pie streamer and I am pleased.

I had been using an Allo Boss.

Pecan Pie had better defined bass and a better punch.The higher tones of the bass were tighter.

Instruments were separated much better which allowed for me to hear subtle sounds in the music id not heard on previous listens.

Has a brighter over all sound vs The Allo.

Not easy for me to describe sound with words but i like how it sounds than my Allo Boss so thx for all your work

4 Likes
(Leo Ayzenshtat) #192

For those who are interested, I posted additional performance measurements for the BOSC amp here:

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #193

Read the latest PecanPi Streamer customer review:

“I needed to find a streamer to play my music from PC to my aeging, but still excellent hifi system. I read a review of the PecanPi and emailed Leo. He responded almost instantly, even though I’m in Australia, and I ordered my unit. It arrived this morning, and to say I’m blown away is an understatement…”
https://yotpo.com/go/wx67EVFe

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #194

An awesome review for the BOSC amp:

“Class-D amplifiers generally trigger reactions and opinions of a generic, mass-market sound. And I’ll admit, I tend to not be too curious about anything based around that amplification method. But Leonid (Leo) Ayzenshtat’s Class-D amplifiers continually force me to think differently. They prove that it isn’t about the type of thing, but rather about how skillfully a thing is made.”

“I wanted to stop my heart so I could hear the music better. I was being sucked in, pushed out, and unable to focus on anything else but the music. There were all the little bird-like chimes, dancing between clicks and pings and bongs of xylophone harmonics with dry reed raspy sounds zooming in and out, floating on top of deep rolling strings and organ-like bass. I didn’t want to miss a moment of it.”

Read the full review here:
https://theaudiobeatnik.com/reviewing-the-orchard-audio-bosc-monoblocks/

It takes AC power input? Worldwide voltages? Can’t see any clear photos showing power input.

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #196

The amp takes DC, it comes with a universal 250W AC/DC power supply.