PecanPi -- Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #43

According to @RBM that would not be legal.

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #45

I have updated the pricing on my website. I will resolve any Roon related issues before the preorders ship.

If anybody has questions or feedback regarding the product please post.

(Vincent Kennedy) #46

While there’s obviously growing pains with the marketing with this product, at least they are willing to adapt. Points for that.

(Vincent Kennedy) #47

Sooner or later these will get into the hands of reviewers and we will get their take. But, as all of us know that is only part of the story. How this unit, or any other actually works in the hands of end users is what really matters. Take the USBridge as an example. Some really like it and don’t have any issues. I had a problem with one of mine, but I dug in and now I have two working perfectly day in and day out. Others haven’t been so fortunate. Why? So many reasons. We all have our own snowflake implementations.

Personally, I think that if Orchard wants to be successful, they need to price reasonably, and have quality support. I also think if they want to kickstart enthusiasts they need to get a few of these DAC’s into the hands of actual users. Let the forums here and elsewhere spread the word. Is this approach risky? Only if the product isn’t ready for real life.

(Danny Dulai) #48

We do not allow redistribution of our software. If you see something/someone doing redistribution, we’d like to know.

(Vincent Kennedy) #49

Good to know. Thanks for letting me know.

Best regards
Vince

IIRC, mine came with DietPi installed (or a variant thereof, with an ugly web interface), so technically, I was the one doing the downloading. Obviously, an sd card with Ropieee would be a vastly superior experience, but that’d require compatibility with not antiquated linux…

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #53

Implementation Details:

• DAC chips:
    • Dual flagship Burr-Brown PCM1794As in monaural mode
  • Digital HW Volume Control and Re-clocking
    • Crystek CCHD-575 oscillator – ultra low clock jitter of 82fSec
    • SRC4193 for volume control
  • Output stage: True balanced dual different output stages
    • Uses OPA1612s
    • Low Noise Panasonic Resistors
    • Proprietary filtering topology
  • Ultra low noise analog power supplies
    • TPS7A4700 (4.17uV noise) for positive op-amp power supply.
    • TPS7A3301 (16uV noise) for negative op-amp power supply
    • TPS7A4901 (15.4uV noise) for DAC Chips
  • Headphone driver:

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #54

Shipment has already went out to the first reviewer, two more review units will be shipping next week.

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #55

Please post if you would be interested in trying one of these out, if there are enough people we can start a tour. Essentially I ship to the first person and they ship to next. Every person gets 1 week with the unit.

(Vincent Kennedy) #56

@Orchard_Audio

Unfortunately, my schedule is too complicated for me to genuinely commit to a week.

Thanks for asking,
Vince

(Ricardo YC Yu) #57

As Roon Bridge device, can PecanPi playback DSD either in native mode or DoP mode?
or PCM conversion would be done at Roon Server?

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #58

The DAC itself only has a PCM interface, maybe somebody else can chime in on how ROON handles it, whether it will be DoP or conversion to PCM.

(Daniel Beyer) #59

If the DAC can do DoP processing then Roon can send in DoP. If not, Roon will convert everything to PCM.

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #60

Thank you, so in this case everything will be converted to PCM.

(Leo Ayzenshtat) #61

A big thank you to @Slim_Fishguttz. Thanks to him I figured out how to get an SD card setup using DietPi and have it ready to go for the first install at the end user’s location.

All Roon bridge software will be automatically downloaded and installed at first power up.

I believe this will not violate any of Roons requirements, per @RBM

(Vincent Kennedy) #62

https://orchardaudio.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fpcnp-strmr&page=1&sortOption=ascend_by_name

Looks like Allo has some competition.

(Ged) #63

There’s another thread where they have posted their specs and performance graphs. There is a 100 $ surcharge for rooon on the device.

(Geoff Coupe) #64

Hmm - that seems a little OTT…

(Wim) #65

Select Rune Audio or PiCorePlayer for $ 0,01 and flash the SD card with RoPieee. :slightly_smiling_face: