Periodic random DSD distortion on Roon playback (ref#NIO04U)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Playback

Description of Issue

Periodic random DSD distortion

Roon Server Platform

Linux (NAS/SonicTransporter/Antipodes/Ubuntu/etc.)

Linux Server Type

Ubuntu

Roon Server Specifications

See comments

Connected Audio Devices

Pi4 connected usb to a Gustard x16 dac

Home Network Details

Wired cat6e connection

So I can be listening quite happily and then randomly the DSD256 up sample turns to static with the audio track extremely muted in the background.

So i turn off the upsampling and revert to native FLAC playback. Immediately re-enabling the DSD upscaling doesn’t resolve the issue, however after “some time” it simply starts working again when re-enabled.

No reboot of the core or attached equipment required.

No idea what triggers it and what resolved it. Lowering to DSD128 (or raising to 512) for example makes no difference. It’s like the DSD upscaling simply breaks for a while…. Quite annoying.

No obvious difference in the audio path when working vs when broken either. Obviously there’s a difference once I disable the DAD upscaling…

This is a classic sign of native/pure DSD not syncing correctly with the DAC. It happens most often when a DAC has to switch bit rates, which DSD data streams make confusing for many DACs to do. One solution is to specify DoP (DSD over PCM) in your DSD “strategy” in your Roon Zone configuration. This encapsulates DSD in a PCM stream. It’s still truly decoded as DSD this way; the only downside is that it uses twice as much network bandwidth in the process, which should not be an issue on most modern LANs unless you are using bad quality WiFi from your source to your endpoint.

So basically enable this…? It was originally set to “native”. I will give that a whirl. Thx.

@Keith_Wood Correct!

Thanks. I have enabled that and will see if it makes a difference. It may reoccur quickly - but it may not. It’s a bit random to be fair but definitely happened during dynamic playlists (Roon daily, or Tidal ones) so was probably linked to the codec changing between songs making the DAC hiccup as you kinda described above. Hopefully that configuration change should resolve it.

Thanks for the guidance.

1 Like

Keep us posted @Keith_Wood .

@DDPS It re-occurred. :frowning:

Only happened the once so far so definitely better. I am running Ropieee XL as the Roon Bridge RAAT endpoint (RoPieeeXL 2023.11 (1179))

Hi @Keith_Wood,

Apologies for the long delay in replying to your thread! Following up here, could you please reproduce the issue and share the specific date, time and name of the track playing when the issue occurs?

Once you let me know this info, I’ll go ahead and enable diagnostics for your account so I can review the logging for clues.

If you’d rather do it yourself manually, please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Thanks!

Will do. THanks