Periodically when I try access my library I get the message saying that my library is empty

I am having a similar issue but no shutdown is taking place.

I’m running Roon Core on a server that is on 24/7 and periodically when I try access my library I get the message saying that my library is empty.

When I check the Storage Settings in Roon, it shows the watched folder as disconnected and attempting to re-connect does not work.

I’ve resorted to re-installing the Core on my server to see if this fixes the problem longer term.

This is quite a frustrating issue as nothing in my network or hardware setup has changed and everything was working smoothly until very recently.

Hi @myryads,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Where are your files stored? How often does this occur?

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for your response. Here’s an overview of the situation.

Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs)

• My core machine is running Unraid with an Ubuntu VM (v18.04).
  • The machine is a dual Xeon setup with 24GB of ram (4GB allocated to VM)
  • 8TB of storage

Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)

• The machine is connected via ethernet to a TP-Link switch (very similar to this).
  • The switch in turn is connected via ethernet to my Asus router
  • All devices on my home network are connected to this router either via ethernet or wi-fi

Audio devices in use

• Macbook Pro
  • iPhone
  • iPad
  • Devialet amplifier
  • Google Chromecast Audio

Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library)

• All my library files are stored on the core machine hard drive
  • There are roughly 13,000 tracks
  • I am not using any streaming service with Roon

As noted in my initial post I re-installed the Core on my server recently and since that time the issue has not re-occurred. However prior to that it was occurring on and off for the last month or so. I noticed the issue after a recent software update to both the Roon core and output software.

Prior to this there had been no issues in the almost 2 years since I started using Roon.

Please let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks for the details, @myryads.

It’s hard to say for sure exactly what might have happened — Since the Core was reinstalled the logs would no longer be accessible from when this issue occurred. If you do see this behavior again I’m hoping you can do the following:

• Take a screenshot of Settings > Storage
  • Use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link or any other file sharing service link

With that information we should be able to have a better idea of what might be happening.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I recently raised a support issue on Roon losing connection with my server/NAS.

Just earlier this happened in realtime and I think I was able to pinpoint what was happening.

While listening to music on Roon, I was moving some new music into my main server folder.

As soon as this copying process began, the music Roon was playing cut out and I received an error saying that the file I was playing doesn’t exist.

After going to the Roon home screen I was greeted with the library empty message.

Going to Settings -> Storage shows the ‘directory not available error’.

If I attempt to remove and add the network folder again I receive an ‘there was an unexpected error. Invalid network path.’

However if I try to access the network folder via Finder, access works fine without any issues and I can see all my folders and tracks.

To re-iterate what I posted in my initial post:

Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs)

• My core machine is running Unraid with an Ubuntu VM (v18.04).
  • The machine is a dual Xeon setup with 24GB of ram (4GB allocated to VM)
  • 8TB of storage

Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)

• The machine is connected via ethernet to a TP-Link switch (very similar to this).
  • The switch in turn is connected via ethernet to my Asus router
  • All devices on my home network are connected to this router either via ethernet or wi-fi

Audio devices in use

• Macbook Pro
  • iPhone
  • iPad
  • Devialet amplifier
  • Google Chromecast Audio

Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library)

• All my library files are stored on the core machine hard drive
  • There are roughly 13,000 tracks
  • I am not using any streaming service with Roon

I managed to replicate the issue today when I was moving some new music across to my network folder.

This message immediately popped up.

I had to remove the folder and re-add it again.

Troubleshooting update -

If I kill the Roon process on my server using the following command:
sudo systemctl stop roonserver

And then restart it:
sudo systemctl start roonserver

I am able to go back into the Storage settings and add the shared folder again.

If I don’t restart the Roon process then every time I attempt to add the shared folder I receive an invalid network path error.

Hope this helps.

Hi @myryads,

Thanks for the update here, I’m glad you were able to track down the specific steps that seem to be triggering this behavior. This is not something that we are able to reproduce on our end, so we are hoping you can do the following:

• Reproduce this issue once more
  • Make a note of the time the issue occurs in your local timezone
  • Use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link
  • Respond here with the Dropbox (or any other file sharing service) link and the time that this issue occurred

After this we’ll review the logs with the team and we’ll follow up with you after that.

Thanks!

Hi @dylan

Based on some reading I have been doing the past few days I have changed my setup to instead utilise Docker.

The Roon Core is now running in a Docker instance and I have attempted to re-create the issue by moving music to my shared folder while Roon is open/playing.

Thus far I haven’t been able to recreate the issue. The Docker instance seems to be exhibiting different behaviour to the Core I had setup in a VM previously.

I’m not sure why this is the case - they are both accessing the same shared music folder and nothing has changed there.

I will continue to monitor this and see what transpires. However for the time being I’ll just continue using the Docker instance as my Core because it appears to be working fine.

1 Like