Permanent retention of library albums added by Roon

Thank you Richard. The distinctions - be they understood by all or not - are indeed important to me. Your gentlemanly reply is much appreciated.

Should you be interested in discussing the finer points in a less public forum, I would welcome a PM. Otherwise, thank you very much for trying to help. :slight_smile:

Hello Steve,

If you wish to discuss matters in a PM, sure, I am happy to respond. Not sure what a PM will accomplish or what the matters are that requires a PM, but, I am fine with that. I haven’t actually engaged in a PM at roon, but I am sure I can figure out how to accomplish doing so.

I’ll wait for your PM.

Best,
Richard

So there’s my problem - as stated before - except for those Tidal albums that must go away due to changes in licensing - some of the albums that Roon put in my Roon library (specifically those I have LPs of), are things that I want to STAY in my Roon library permanently. If Tidal changes the list that caused them to go into my Roon library, I don’t want Roon to pull them out. Simple.

Roon will not pull them put.

The “collections” feature in Roon works by starring those albums in TIDAL at the time when you import the collection. Then in the future, Roon will sync the starred content just like it syncs other starred content in TIDAL. The collections lists were developed here, not at TIDAL, and we maintain them. Content will only disappear if TIDAL’s copyright rules force it to.

Outstanding! Thank you!

That means no action is required on my part to permanently retain in my collection those albums that I want to remain there, regardless of how they got there. Excepting license issues. Excellent! :slight_smile:

Now to the more subtle implied question…

Roon’s Discovery feature - I gather - is based on multiple factors including what’s in my collection. Is my collections influence on Discovery the same, regardless of whether its source, i.e. - in my digital media vs. included by a “Add to Collection” action vs. included because of inclusion in a TIDAL collection that I indicated that I wanted?

Thanks.

Hi Brian
Can you clarify what you mean by “maintain” please??

Specifically,

1. If I imported your recommended “Jazz” list of e.g. 100 Albums back in June…and Roon have now groomed / expanded this list to e.g. 110 Albums…will those extra 10 Albums be automatically added to my Tidal / Roon Library??..my assumption is that the extra 10 albums would NOT be added automatically??
  2. Based on your description above, the original 100 Albums would not shrink or change?? [except for licensing reasons]

Thanks

By “maintain” I mean that we are responsible for them (as opposed to TIDAL), and that as available content changes or new material comes out, we may change what make up those lists.

1. Correct.
  2. Correct.

Roon’s Discovery feature - I gather - is based on multiple factors including what’s in my collection. Is my collections influence on Discovery the same, regardless of whether its source, i.e. - in my digital media vs. included by a “Add to Collection” action vs. included because of inclusion in a TIDAL collection that I indicated that I wanted?

No, we do not differentiate between sources for this. The collections feature is a shortcut for starring a bunch of content on the TIDAL side + tagging it as “TIDAL: Jazz” or similar. There’s nothing additional going on there.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you.