ExFat drives aren't accessible from ROCK in case of mounting via SMB [Fixed, B156]

Hi @Eric
FYI, same issue here. If I’m not mistaken, this issue started after the update to Roon OS 1.0 build 153 in Rock
Hope we’ll find a turnaround

I’m running ROCK on a Nuc, with a WD MyBook USB drive attached. The Nuc is connected via ethernet to a WiFi access point. I use a Macbook to access the MyBook for adding files, etc.

ROCK OS: Version 1.0 (build 153) stable
Roon Server Software: Version 1.4 (build 298) stable

This morning I went to add files and received a message that I don’t have permission to access the folder: The folder “My_Book_WD_My_Book_25EE_3753475532583743_2A27-BFEB-p1” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

I verified in Finder that I do have the required permissions, and spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Apple support. They are stumped and we have a follow up call tomorrow morning.

Any ideas? Music plays just fine, so Roon is able to access the data. I just can’t access the data to add/move/delete, etc.
I’ve never had an issue accessing the Nuc’s attached USB drive through Finder. All other folders on the Nuc are accessible. If I connect the MyBook directly to my MacBook I have no problem accessing my files.

@support I believe that SMB2 support was added to ROCK and maybe there is something causing your drive access to be different?

How are you accessing it? Via a favorite link? If so maybe it’s time to remap the connection and see if that helps.

Prior to today, I’ve accessed the drive by navigating to ROCK in Finder (it shows under “Shared”), then Data/Storage/Mybook. Now when I try to follow that path, I receive the error. It not an SMB connection to the best of my knowledge.

Hi Robert,
In the first step you have to connect to Rock server using SMB protocol ver 1. In this case use not Shared, but manual way of connection - in Finder go to Go than Connect to Server… command cifs://rock in my case smb://rock doesn’t work. Than check if you have access to your hard drive in Storage. If everything works fine, disconnect and connect again, this time using rock server in Shared. In this moment you should use SMB2, but I’m outside my home till Saturday and I can’t check. It is easy to find out using command “smbutil statshares -a” in Terminal after connection to server.
I have ROCK OS: Version 1.0 (build 153) and on my MacBook Pro High Sierra 10.13.3, but on my two Macs with older High Sierra version is the same. Everything change with update to Rock OS ver 153 or I’m wrong and the problem lies in MacOS and exactly Apple’s SMB version.

Greetings from Poland
Piotr

Thanks Piotr. When I open Finder, Rock shows up automatically. When I select it, it connects automatically and I see a folder called “Data”. Attempting to connect via SMB://rock or cifs://rock has no effect.

I just updated to the newest OS build 155 which was released a short time ago (today). Now I can’t access the root “Data” folder at all. . .it can’t be found.

00 PM

@Robert_Siegel ----- Would you kindly try the following and let me know if it yields a change in behavior with the “data” folder. See below.

• In “finder” select “GO” and then, “connect to server”

• Once the “connect to server” window is open please use the following to connect the share:

cifs://IP of your ROCK machine/data

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I just tried that and while it looks like something happened, the Finder display does not change. When I select Rock, I see “Data” but still receive the message that “Data can’t be found”.

Eric,

I shut down my Nuc, and rebooted my Macbook. Went to finder and followed your suggestion. All seems to be working now. I no longer receive the error when attempting to access “Data” and I can now access the MyBook.

If I reboot both the ROCK and my iMac as per your advice the fix “cifs://IP of your ROCK machine/data” works for me but when following Piotr’s second step to initialize with SMB2,

“If everything works fine, disconnect and connect again, this time using rock server in Shared. In this moment you should use SMB2”

the drives are, once again, locked down.

Obviously a software issue from the last update.
Thanks,
Warren

Fully agree
If I connect the had drive to another device, I can have access through my iMac as usual. Problem is evident only when connected to Roon

Also have noticed that song selection, from pressing play to start of play, seems to take far longer than in the past. Anyone notice this? Currently my music disc is locked but the backup usb stick isn’t.

Hi.

@support

I hope this is the right place.

I run ROCK on NUC with an attached WD USB disk.

I use a MacBook Pro to manage my files.

Although I can see the ROCK share, and connect to it to see the Data folder structure, the Storage folder where I am supposed to see my music files is not reachable. It says:

The folder “KutluayDuo_WD_My_Book_Duo_25F6_575542533238313130333531_59F0-ED48-p2” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

and the name is funny since from roon setup I simply see KutluayDuo when I am managing the storage selection.

What might be wrong?

Kunter

Can you try to mount it with cifs://ROCK/Data instead of smb://ROCK/Data and let me know if that makes it work?

Is your MyBookDuo formatted as ExFAT?

1 Like

Hi Danny,

I was having the same issue using my iMac. Using instructions above I got it to work.

1. Right click on Data and select Eject “Data”
  2. Under Go, select Connect to Server.
  3. In Server Address, type cifs://rock/data
  4. Connect as Guest (if it asks)

Success!

Cheers, Greg

Greg, As of late last week, it seemed like using “cifs” was regarded as a workaround until Roon understood what was causing the problem.

Should we cifs users assume that to be a permanent solution? It seems innocuous enough, although someone at Roon suggested that cifs was a bit slower than smb.

Thanks!

PS: FWIW, cifs works fine for me and my EXFAT external drives to my ROCK. No performance issues that I can detect versus smb.

Hey John,

This would be a question for @danny.

Cheers, Greg

nothing has changed since last week… but this workaround is a fine solution.

Hello Danny,

As per my post a bit higher up on this thread, this workaround doesn’t appear to completely solve the issue. the cifs command appeared to work but when then using the second smb as per the comments from Piotr (6 days ago) my main drive is again locked. Also seems that drive access is much slower.

I do think have the same problem with my windows pc:

Peter