Server: Mac Mini M1/MacOS 12.0.1/current Roonserver
Clients: MacBook Pro i7/MacOS 12.0.1/current Roon client
Mac Pro/MacOS 11.6/current Roon client
assorted iOS clients

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I migrated Roon server to a new M1 system yesterday and it worked fine. All clients however, after a while of working fine, lose contact with the server and want to reconnect to the old server, which is no longer running. I followed all the Roon documentation about migrating to a new machine, so there’s clearly a caching or setting issue that isn’t visible in the UI, but which is terminally confusing all the client systems - the old server name is in fact pointing at the new system.

I had read that there should be USB failures after the Apple update.

Are DAC’s etc. perhaps affected by this?

If you restored a backup to the new Mac then the core name will be the same.

Sure you sure the old server isn’t running still, check the menu bar for the roon server icon and stump it running when system starts up

I did restore, as per instructions, but then edited the name in the settings. That clearly wasn’t enough.

Separate issue, I think - and my USB DAC (Meridian) continues to work just fine.

Yep. Checked, and hasn’t been running since I made the switch - what’s happening is that Roon is resolving to the new machine but, no matter how many times I change the server name and storage locations, it reverts them to the original settings.

Restart everything on the network like router modem and any switches etc. something might be cached somewhere

Not that - I’m seeing this even when I’m using a local loopback of Roon to Roonserver - if it’s being cached, it’s on the host machine, and I’m working through where that might be.

Controllers and endpoints don’t just decide to go hunting for a new core. Your new install is falling off the network for some reason. I’d look at the possible mechanisms for that first. It might be an idea to restore to your original backup and leave everything be (except storage locations) and then go from there.

1 Like

Hey @Richard_Harris,

We’re sorry to hear that you were having some issues after your migration to a new Core. We’d be happy to help you with this.

First, it’s been a couple days since you posted - are you still having issues with this, or have you found your way through this snag?

Additionally, is there any chance at all that you used an apple product such as time machine backup or migration assistant to set up the new Core? We sometimes see behavior similar to this when customers use those products.

Lastly, please make sure that you addressed the final step in the Migration how-to, which is to remove the database folder from your old machine if you are now using it as a Remote. You can find more information of this here: