Phone overheating, M1 Mac very slow

Running just core

Use apple monitor in utilities to see what’s running and consuming your resources

Not sure at the moment but it’s between 1.2-1.5 TB

Roon Arc has never worked for me properly. Even with offline material.

But I’m curious about your M1 Mac mini. What else are you running on that Mac? I have a 2014 Mac mini with an SSD. But I run Roon server it’s been good lately.

Nice size library. I mean the Roon Server app and the Roon Core app I’m running both. Maybe I should try only Core.

Yeah I already been checking the monitor. Example is I’m using over 4gb of ram just turning the server and core on. This is before I searched or before I clicked on anything or played anything just opening the app. Once I play music or browse ram increase from there.

Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 3.59.05 PM

I’m not really doing much of anything else but I am running the Core and server on the same M1. I do usually have safari open too. But in the monitor currently that is showing 250mb of ram used. But Roon is over 4GB ram usage without playing music or clicking on anything freshly opened roon.

The mds_stores process (Spotlight) running amok can choke out a CPU. Ya might try some of the stuff on this checklist. You didn’t specify which Mac OS version you’re rocking so some of these may not apply to you

For my M1 I completely disabled spotlight since I only use this for Roon Server.

Also, it’s probably not this, but ya might check to see if Roon is doing some indexing/background processing. With that many tracks it is possible? Its easy to check this in settings.

The M1 itself is more than up to the task and so is Roon. Something has gone funky with MacOS and CPU usage here, methinks.

1 Like

Also, can you clarify what this means? Do you mean to say you use one machine for core and control? Or is it possible you have Roon AND Roon Server somehow running redundantly? I mean thats probably not it but just wondering based on this statement

Why not just Roon!

How much head room do you have on your drive. If your drive is very full the system has to swap and therefore consume CPU.

And how much ram does you system have ? 16GB or 8

96gb free on system drive. and 400gb free on the music storage drive

I’m running roon server always on in the system tray. I’m running also Roon app to play music on the same M1. I’m running roon app connected to the server that is also running on the m1. I’m doing this incase I close roon play while I’m away so I can still access my roon with my phone locally with the roon iOS app or also the iOS Arc app.

Why don’t you run the complete Roon package?
The App is not designed for desktop use, it’s for tablets and phones, and you will be missing some features which are only available on the desktop software.

1 Like

Roon Server on your core and Roon on your phone or tablet is ok.

Running both the full GUI Roon program PLUS Roon Server on the exact same computer (if that’s what you’re doing) is unnecessary, and I would think holds potential to cause problems.

I would recommend picking one or the other for this machine based on how you listen.

Are you sure that is recommended way of using this. I have a habit of closing the window. The server always is on.

I use the roon desktop when I’m at my desktop. But use roon iOS app’s when I’m not at my desktop. And Arc when I’m away from home.

On a Mac just closing the window doesn’t close the program, usually

I’m just suggesting not running both as a troubleshooting method for your current issues.

It may be that the server keeps running in the background even after quitting, not sure. I don’t run Roon that way. But both full Roon and Roon server should not be needed on the same computer

I’m not sure the OP is doing that.
I understood it as he is running Roon Server (no GUI) and then have added the iOS Roon Remote to control his devices. (As he is on an M1, App store allows installing iOS Apps on his desktop)
I may have misunderstood though.

1 Like

Closing the window by clicking on the red dot doesn’t shutdown Roon. You have to either Command + Q or select Quit Roon from the menu bar if you want to completely close the Roon desktop app.

Scherm­afbeelding 2022-12-27 om 21.38.15

As you can see there is still a dot next to the Roon icon in my Dock. Which means it is still running even though I have clicked on the red dot to close its window.

1 Like

There has to be another issue somewhere. I did nothing to my M1 Mac os and I have my MacBook running for weeks without reboot and only time roon restarts is if there is a update.

It basically works all flawlessly over WiFi.

Maybe there is a bug with spotlight, time machine or something else?

It sure seems like the CPU is getting maxed out by something on the Mac and causing trouble. I still wonder if the program is doing library analysis?

Settings → Library Maintenance → Clean up library would be another basic step but if your library is only a couple of weeks old that seems like a reach.

If it were my Mac, I’d temporarily disconnect any external drives and put a few DSD albums onto the local SSD in the music folder, and see if the problems persist when simply playing songs from there.