Phono Cartridge suggestions?

My Dynavector DV-20X low output met an untimely end at the weekend courtesy of the corner of a microfibre cloth. Looking for a replacement, my turntable is a clearaudio champion level 2 with a 12 inch unify arm, phono amp is Rega IOS reference. Could just replace the Dynavector but… wondered about a Lyra Delos or Rega Apheta 3, any thoughts or alternative suggestions? Ortofon? Audio Technica? I mainly listen to rock, pop, jazz. Thanks for your ideas

2 Likes

I have a detachable headshell so after a few moving coil on a previous sme arm I got an audio technica vnm range mm and a matching mono one so I can swap them over when needed without faffing with anything else as they weigh and track the same. Sound great too to me.
If you don’t have a detachable headshell or mono albums then it may not matter to you.

2 Likes

Budget?
My favorite cart right now is a Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony 2 mm.
About $1600 new.

But a close contender is actually an old vintage AT10 with a genuine AT Shibata stylus…

Also like my ZYX R100 MC cart at about $1300 new.

1 Like

I wonder how many cartridge deaths those darn towels are responsible for🙄

None allowed near my rigs, I use air cans to blow dust off instead.
Much cheaper in the long run😇

5 Likes

Benz Micro from Switzerland! Great options at different price points, have the ACE at the moment and am very happy with it!

2 Likes

Thanks the thought, however phono amp is moving coil only

1 Like

I know, I do to usually but on this occasion was giving the acrylic a polish as I intended to post on the turntable thread and system thread, damn vanity :rage:

Budget circa £1500

The zyx is a great MC cart, lot of dynamics without being too strident.
I had a Lyra Delos for a short while, could not live with, way too tipped up in the treble for my liking.

Benz carts are a good bet as already suggested…I have had a couple of $5/600 ones.

1 Like

I used a van den hul previously (grasshopper) and that is a lovely cartridge. He still services them too.

2 Likes

Heck yes…great option…glass hopper😎

I think The Frog is currently about $1600usd?

2 Likes

Yes all of his cartridges are well rated I think.

2 Likes

The horror!

I run a Sumiko Starling. Outstanding.

If you want to stay in your current price range, then Sumiko Songbird is a contender.

1 Like

I have a DV-20X and I can’t imagine there is anything better at that price point. Where do you find the DV lacking?

1 Like

I don’t and but for the mishap would have continued to be very happy with it, just an itch and an opportunity to scratch it…

That’s the worst part about turntable setups, that they always leave something to be desired, no matter how much money you throw at them…
EDIT
:innocent:

If you know the equivalent mass of your arm, you can calculate the resonance frequency of a prospective cartridge on that arm. The formula can be found on Ortofon’s helpful page. Just guessing I’d say a moderately low compliance cartridge like the Ortofon Cadenza Blue might match well to a moderately heavy arm like yours.

Everything in the Hana range of carts punches above its price category. Check out the ML in your price range.

4 Likes

Hana cartridges rock! I currently have a Hana ML on my Rega RP-8, and it performs remarkably better than its price point.
Dane

4 Likes