Pi4 not recognized by Roon

I’ve been troubleshooting for a day with no luck. Currently the Pi4 is running according to my router’s DHCP tab, it sees it with the named I assigned it, RoonPi, and the IP address.

But it won’t show up in Settings > Audio. Question, it’s connected to my Marantz receiver via HDMI. There are no USB options. I would think it should work through HDMI, but there is only an Audio USB toggle on the Ropieee General tab. Should I turn off the toggle? I ask because every time I change settings and reboot, I lose access to the Pi – it no longer shows up in the browser via the IP. I’ve had to start over, wipe the SD and re-Flash with Etcher a dozen times already. This last time I was finally able to get it to boot up after turning it off and on several times.

More info:
I received the Pi4 via Canakit and assembled, installed Raspbian with it plugged into a TV with HDMI and a USB keyboard and it worked perfectly. I downloaded RoPieee to the Pi but realized I need to wipe the SD and Flash it with Etcher, ugh. That’s where the trouble started.

On multiple attempts I would get a Failed Target error - Checksum does match for range. After wiping for the fourth time, I finally got a successful flash, plugged it into the Pi4, set it up in the living room with the Marantz because that’s the only place I could plug it into a network cable. According to the progress shown on the TV screen, it confirmed that it installed successfully. There’s no flashing of LED though, as I don’t see any LED on my unit.

I found it on http://ropieee.local/, renamed to RoonPi, set up time zone, rebooted, all good. Turned on and set up wifi, rebooted, and lost it. Turned off and on, no dice, started over, wiped SD, re-flashed, installed, and then could access again. Went through this several times, and currently I can view the web interface for the device via IP address, but not http://ropieee.local/ (server IP address could not be found).

I’m currently running two rooms with Sonos Connect, and was p*$$ed when they announced they will stop supporting it, and the Sonos Port is $450. So I thought I would experiment with the Pi 4, but so far it sucks.

Apparently I either have to spend over a thousand dollars on Sonos to get all rooms in the house in one group, or go through the excruciating process of troubleshooting unreliable Raspberry Pi devices.

You can’t use HDMI. Use USB or add a HAT. Also, you don’t need WIFI if connected via ethernet.

Right. That’s a whole other problem then. I upgraded to XL, connected to Spotify, and I can see the device via Spotify no problem.

I set up WiFi so that I can connect in basement and test the USB.

I did just that, moved to basement where I connected to my Schiit Modi via USB. Spotify says it’s playing but no sound yet. So yet another problem. But before we get off track, let’s focus on the fact that Spotify can see the device but Roon can’t.

Ropieee doesn’t support HDMI audio, here’s the supported hardware. USB output works too.

Yeah I get it. Forget about the HDMI, I currently have it hooked up via USB, not HDMI. Still same problem.

Have you turned on usb audio in the ropieee settings?

1 Like

Yes, USB toggle is on. So does that extremely limited supported hardware list mean that USB output won’t work with my Schiit Modi DAC, nor my NAD D 3020 V2? If that’s true then I suppose this is all pointless, but I would love to know why Roon won’t recognize the Pi 4 when Spotify does.

As is mentioned on the website RoPieee supports in general all USB DAC’s. The list your referring to is about support for native DSD.

I doubt this is what you are referring to, but just in-case, Roon does not show the RPi4. It shows the DAC that is connected to it. If I go into Roon - Settings - Audio, I don’t see RPi4. I see Merdian Prime for one and Dragonfly Cobalt for the other.

Here’s my devices:
Office Desktop/Doomcave (usually it indicates when it’s streaming through my iFi iDSD/iCAN, but currently it just says “WASAPI”
Group: Bedroom/Guest Room: “via Sonos Streaming” lists IP addresses. Though currently the Guest Room Sonos is unplugged as that’s where I’m testing the Pi 4.
Living Room TV: via Chromecast Streaming, IP address

Whatever it will end up calling it, Schiit Modi or whatever, it’s not showing up. On Spotify it’s called “RoonPi [RoPieeeXL]”

Can you send feedback? You can find it on the ‘advanced’ tab in the web interface.

Yes, I looked for it previously as I’d been reading other threads, but missed it 'til now, the button at the very bottom!

unique identifier 94c5520709ba465f

See anything in the feedback? Any other approaches you recommend? I’m at a complete loss and currently the setup is useless.

Can you send it again? I’m in transition to new infra and someone the file is gone.

K. c476991914bba943

So… you don’t have a HAT configured and no USB DAC connected because it reports errors about a possible bad cable.

Hence it will not show up in Roon as it needs a valid audio output.

So… how do you have your DAC powered?

1 Like

Strange, because my Schiit Modi works just fine with the Sonos Connect that I usually use it with. It’s powered by the power supply that comes with it. I had swapped out a couple different USB cables to make sure that isn’t the issue. I reconnected the Sonos (uses digital coax) and it works fine.

I moved the RoonPi up to the office and connected it to my iDSD, and it works! So apparently there’s something wrong with all three USB cables, or the USB port on the Modi.

roon-pi-office

If I were to use the Pi 4 for all the rooms, I guess I’d have to get a USB to HDMI converter to use with the Living Room Marantz processor.

Also I doubled checked my NAD D3020 v2 in the bedroom and it also will not accept USB input, has to be coax or optical. So it appears I need to add a HAT with those features?

Is HiFiBerry the main option to add the Digi or Digi Pro HAT?

Not sure how that would work.

So helpful, ha ha. My first thought was something like this HDMI + Audio Converter might work, but probably not.

Currently it only works in the one room I don’t need it, so I definitely need a solution. So again, any other options beyond HiFiBerry?