Pi4 not showing in audio settings in Roon

Hi Folks. Back to testing this morning. Booted up my Pi, inserted the Dragonfly and instantly showed up in Roon. Moved it to a different USB port and it disappeared and reappeared as it should in Roon. Then swapped to the Chord and recognised instantly by Roon - using it now! I have not been able to do this at all over the past 2 days. So I outlet say the signs are good that running rpi-update which took the kernel to 4.19.102-v7l+ seems to have solved my problem for the time being.

Here is a link to the Arch forum where I found info on the error message I was getting in dmesg https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=14172 It does seem to matter which iteration of the Pi4 you have.

If it stops working again I might try downgrading the kernel but so far so good.

2 Likes

I already had the USB FW update prepared for RoPieeeā€™s next release. Reading through the tread this might solve your issue.

Thanks @spockfish for that. So if I put the Ropieee sd card back into the Pi it will update automatically? When do you think that will be out?

The solution I found hasnā€™t solved everything. The Chord is found everytime now without fail. The Dragonfly is still sometimes not found and I get a different error about insufficient bandwidth. I suspect this is a power management issue maybe since it draws its power from the USB and Chord doesnā€™t? Anyway Iā€™m happy with what Iā€™ve got now and a reboot will probably sort the Dragonfly when needed.

Is there any way to get some diagnostic info from the Pi running RoPieee to help you see what the issue may be?

I tried playing with a few more settings but still works only on Airplay but doesnā€™t show up as a Roon endpoint.

Any help is much appreciated!

Iā€™m still waiting on feedback so I can have a look.

Feedback from me? What kind of feedback would be helpful? Iā€™ll try to get whatever info is needed.

If you go to the ā€˜advancedā€™ tab in RoPieeeā€™s webpage thereā€™s a button labelled ā€˜send feedbackā€™. If you hit that it will gather information and send it to me.

Thanks

1 Like

ow and to be sure: you need to provide me the information as mentioned on the webpage (the UUID I need)

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™ve sent the feedback, UUID 31ade6126a595f6e.

Hi @David_McNaught

Everything seems ok. DAC is recognized, RAAT (RoonBridge) is running.
The only thing that I donā€™t see is interaction with your Roon server: as if the client canā€™t find Roon (or the other way around).

I suggest you have a good look at your infrastructure, might be related to something like that.

1 Like

Thanks.

Iā€™ll try changing the network around to see how that helps, though Roon had no problem seeing the Airplay from the same unit when that was enabled, indicating network wise it was connected.

Iā€™ll wire both the roon core and Pi to the router directly & see how it goes.

Thanks again for your help.

Yes, but thatā€™s the other way around. Airplay is being detected by Roon Server, Roon is being detected by RoonBridge. So thatā€™s certainly a different scenario.

1 Like

After plugging everything into Ethernet and fiddling a bit, I have it working thankfully, so itā€™s all up and running as a roon endpoint (woohoo!).

I have then re-enabled wifi and itā€™s still working, the only issue being occasional few seconds of half of the mix running through a bitcrusher before sorting its self.

Iā€™ll play around with some stuff (wifi vs wired, Soundkey vs LG hifi plus etc) to see if I can figure out what causes occasional bitcrusher distortion. (edit: the issue was only with the Soundkey - LG Hifi Plus didnā€™t have this issue, so just a quirk with the Soundkey perhaps).

My Raspberry Pi 4 with RopieeeXL stopped working yesterday or day before after an automatic over-night update I believe. I unplugged the power from the Raspberry Pi for a short while and it reconnected with I plugged the power back in.

This happened to me also, following upgrade yesterday. I did the upgrade and reboot, all good. Then this morning, although I had web access to my RoPieee box, it did not show up as a Roon device in the control point. Tried a reboot, no go; updated USB firmware and reboot; no go; disconnected power, waited a few minutes, power up, good to go. I did not send feedback, being unsure if that is helpful brute trying everything, and of course after the power cycle success I figured that there would be no point. Recording it here for posterityā€¦

Regards alan

Keep in mind that the DAC needs to be powered on and connected. Otherwise the unit wonā€™t be visible in Roon.

Yes thanks Harryā€¦ I feel that is some kind of issue for me, as it has a just a ā€œmemory keyā€ style DAC at the moment and has no visible indication of on or off. I read in an older thread / older USB firmware about the changes to the Pi powered USB ports, so Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™m in that slightly weird world. I have RoPieee doing overnight reboots, but no issues surfaced until last night (and Iā€™m noticing that it coincides with the update). I will keep an eye open, and also seek another (better!) DAC as well. Thanks for your reply!

Regards alan

Sometimes you need to go into settings - audio and reestablish the settings for a device.

Thanks Jim,

Not exactly sure what you mean, but the issue I had was that there was no listing on the Roon control point ā€œsettings -> audioā€ page for the RoPieee DAC at all (ie nothing available to adjust). In the RoPieee information page, all appeared normal (and that setting was simply for a USB attached DAC).

I think the suggestion that the DAC had failed to power on properly, hence remained undiscovered by the Roon core, is likelyā€¦ the power cycle certainly did the trick and I will keep an eye open in the coming days and again after the next update to see if there is a correlation clue.

Regards alan

Responding to myself with an update: happened again on the overnight boot, nothing to do with the RoPieee update, that the DAC did not appear as an available endpoint in Roon. I did a little googling and found in an old review of the Cozoy DAC that once in a while the guy found it didnā€™t power up properly. I canā€™t recall this happening to me while I used it with my iPhone, but that was long ago and I wouldnā€™t necessarily have noticed the need to re-plug in (on a plane or wherever).

My plan is to get a different USB DAC and keep playing.

With this message, I wanted to close out the concern that my particular example of a DAC not appearing as an endpoint is more likely related to a failure (or delay, in fact) on power up rather than an issue with the RoPieee. If I learn anything else, I will share.

Thanks all for suggestions and constructive advice!

Regards alan

1 Like