"Play Now" Tracks just skip past

When I hit “play now” on a playlist or on a song on a playlist, nothing happens but at the bottom it scrolls through each song as if downloading.

Nothing will actually start playing, just the song names at the bottom scrolling through rapidly

The same thing happens if I just select an album to play. A box at the bottom says "playing (the number total) of tracks, and each track appears is the box for a second, then moves to the next. When it has scrolled through all the tracks, it stops, but nothing will ever play.

Hi Mark,

Can you provide some details of your system to assist in tracking down the issue ? What OS are you running Core under ?

This behaviour is sometimes caused by missing codecs.

Hi and thanks,

I am running Mac OS 10.13.6. I just bought a Roon Nucleus which I installed today, connected to my router and using the USB output into my Oppo 205. All updates were done with install. All was well and I was playing a playlist off of Tidal which ceased while I was outside. When I came back in I found this weird problem which occurs whether I am attempting to play a playlist from Tidal, or merely an album. I have also noted that when I search for an artist now, it only recognizes tracks on Tidal, not ones on my Macbook in iTunes. I have restarted Roon on my laptop several times, as well as rebooted the Nucleus to no avail.

Hi @Mark_Edmiston,

Thanks for the info, and apologies for the troubles here. Can you describe your current networking setup for us including all networking hardware in use and how your devices are connected?

If you play local content instead of TIDAL content does that work okay for you?

Hi Dylan, and thank you for responding. Although I was ready to take my new Nucleus and chuck it through the window, and go back to using Tidal without Roon, I did what I usually did in these drastic situations, and enjoyed a cigar on the back porch then hit the sack. In the morning when I opened Roon again, selections played normally. I really don’t know what that “skimming” mode was all about. However, Roon is not seeing what is in my iTunes library still - that is, if I search for an artist on my MacBook harddrive, I am only offered what is on Tidal. Go figure.

Thanks,

Mark

1 Like

Hi @Mark_Edmiston,

I’m glad to hear that things are working for you now!

Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Storage?

Hi Dylan,

Here it is. The system crashed again last night. I was changing albums, and there was a one second blast of white noise, then the entire skimming process started again. I shut it down and watched Hacksaw Ridge.

Thanks,

mark

Hi @Mark_Edmiston,

Based on this screenshot it appears that you only have your TIDAL library syncing with Roon. If you’d like to see your iTunes library in Roon, you’ll need to add it as a watched folder.

My share XML box is checked, but I don’t know how to make it show up in Roon. When I go to settings/storage/folders, it is blank, as you can see. When I hit “add folder” it is blank. If I hit add network share and enter /Users/markedmiston/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media, it says error.

And now I just changed selections on Roon, there was one second of static noise again, and although the player at the bottom indicates music is playing, there is no audio output. Arghhhhh!!!

Hi @Mark_Edmiston,

iTunes Library

We have some documentation here about making creating a shared folder and then adding that folder into Roon.

Playback Issue

So we can better assist you, please describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

If you play to a different endpoint does this same behavior occur?

Hi Dylan,

System consists only of MacBook Pro with Roon and Tidal apps as control, Roon Nucleus as core, Nucleus connected via ethernet to ATT router, and via USB to digital in of Oppo 205 functioning as dac. Oppo connected to preamp via analogue outputs.

When I go into system preferences>sharing as instructed and add applications, iTunes is not highlighted so I cannot proceed. Sharing is turned on in iTunes.

Currently system not working. Again. After being shut down for a decompressing bike ride. All songs on album are “scanned” rapidly, but nothing ever plays. Arghhh.

Hi @Mark_Edmiston,

iTunes Library

In the screenshot you shared, it looks like you’re looking at the iTunes .app file. Can you navigate to your music folder where the actual media files are stored?

To get to the default location of the iTunes music folder:

Open a Finder window, then click your username in the left sidebar and look for the Music folder.

If you still don’t see it, try the following:

1. Open iTunes.
  2. Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences.
  3. Click the Advanced tab.
  4. Look in the box under “iTunes Media folder location” for the location of your iTunes Media folder.

Oppo Playback Issue

First, I’d like to gather some information here:

• Have you tried using a different USB cable?
  • Can you confirm that the firmware for the device is up to date?

Next, I’d like to propose a couple of tests:

1. Try playing to a different endpoint, like System Output of one of your remotes. Does the same behavior occur?
  2. If you connect the Oppo to your Mac remote instead of the Nucleus does the same behavior occur?