Play own music, directly from the cloud

Play own music, directly from the cloud

Will this be the future?

Have not tried the service yet - maybe later.

Torben

1 Like

I was under the impression that the vast majority of people don’t really own music anymore. Or at least not in the way I understand it. I have all my CDs ripped to a computer, yes, but I still own the CDs. I’ve had the idea for a while that many people now own a collection of MP3s that they store on their phone.

Of course, I don’t get out much, and the people I generally talk to are music nerds like me. So they have large physical collections as well.

But I think the reaction of a lot of people to this would be “Pay for storing my music? Why?”

I could very well be wrong, though.

Of course you still own them, as you should, but do you still play them? Don’t you just play the ripped tracks?

Yes, I do only play the rips.

I’m not sure what you’re getting at here, though. Could you enlighten me?

I’m saying that if you own your digital music, you can put it in the cloud and use this service, regardless of where the music came from.

2 Likes

Oh, I see… :man_facepalming:

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

For those that use Synology NAS devices (like me), this has been possible for about about 15 years, since they introduced their Audio Station software server and player, with the added benefit of actually owning the Cloud server (NAS) and not having to pay monthly for the cloud storage itself.

1 Like

LMS also makes this possible, together with my router’s VPN service. VPN also allows me to stream whatever I record with Xfinity. The only downside is that the upload speed is only about 100Mbps, but it works just fine for audio.

Apple Music does something sort of like that. They either match the tracks you add or if there is no match it’s uploaded. Max upload rate is 256.

I use Google drive as a backup means for my nas and years ago used cloud player, an android app to play from Google drive directly.
These days I rely on plexamp for remote library listening.

Well, the service does not store your music, you have to have another cloud storage solution already. The correct question would be: “Pay for playing my music in cloud storage? Why?”

As for putting your ripped CDs on cloud storage, that would be one way to keep a backup. So there are reasons to do so.

1 Like

Thanks, but I’m not asking the question. I’m posing it as if I’m the average consumer of music – you know, the person who has all ten of the current TikTok hits.

Though I admit my attitude on this may be somewhat jaundiced – I have a hard time understanding why music isn’t incredibly important to everyone.

Hey, I’m the operator of the above service - by co-incidence I’ve also been involved in computer audiophilia (if that’s a word) and the Roon eco-system for a while.

Let me know any questions! To answer this one:

I’m the average consumer of music

… that’s not really the market we’re necessarily aiming at. More specifically it’s people who tick any or all of:

• Collect digital music, want ownership and value curation.
  • Don’t have 24/7 Internet access (part of the Astiga platform is offline sync).
  • Have music that is not available in streaming services, whether because it’s particular releases, genres poorly served or some other reason.
  • Don’t want to cede control to streaming services - it’s surprising how often music is redacted or simply replaced.
  • Don’t want the hassle of setting up self hosting.

In terms of audiophilia as well we stream in native quality which can be good for some.

Anyway, thanks for posting about this.

1 Like