Playback files ripping from MQACD [Ticket open]

Indeed. I have two of these MQA-encoded CDs on order also. I will post my experience when I get them.

Have you tried changing the “resync delay” in Roon’s audio “Device Setup”? I recall Pre Box S2 users noting their DAC would make a clicking sound when switching from MQA to non-MQA. I think Roon checks for the format in every track and if you have no resync delay your DAC may be catching enough time of “non-MQA” playback to switch.

@anon97951896 Tim, I was mistaken. The extension should have been “.mqa.flac” not the other way around. Anyway, good luck!

@KENKEN Yes, you are correct. I should have known but it’s been a long time since I ripped an MQA-encoded CD (I only have one). Now I recall that it was inserting “.mqa” before “flac” was the trick!

Yes. I realized that and I tried that too.
Not working at all …

Hello @KENKEN,

I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this behavior will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report!

– Noris

1 Like

Thank you very much.
I’m really happy to hear that.
Roon team is the best!!

@Flashman / @KENKEN

Thank you both for your assistance.

Roon now recognizes both of my ripped MQA CD’s as MQA. While I’m 99+% sure that I tried renaming the tracks from .flac to .mqa.flac manually with no luck running the MQA TAG Renaming app against my original .flac files produced .mqa.flac files that are recognized by Roon as having MQA content. No idea if it does anything else besides rename the files.

Thanks again … Tim

@anon97951896 Glad all worked out for you, Tim!

I can confirm this behavior while playing files ripped from that same CD played from Sonictransporter to Meridian 818v3. Same tracks.

I also just ripped the Roxy Music - Avalon MQA CD. After running the MQA tag converter, all tracks play as MQA 352.8Khz, except for 1 and 7.

to all,
I thought version 1.6 has solved this problem.
But it didn’t… Seems like we still need to wait…

I have 4 MQA CD, and all the rips play at MQA quality on my Onkyo amp using the Onkyo app. But when using Roon to play on my KEF LS50W the 1st track on all 4 albums plays in CD quality!
Should have added that I use dbpoweramp to rip all my CD.
I did try the MQA Tag program, it created a new set of files which all work fine on my Onkyo using the Onkyo app, but not on my LS50W via Roon

New version didn’t solve this problem again.
So disappointed…

Hello @KENKEN,

Thanks for letting me know that the new version of Roon has not resolved this issue. I took a look at our internal tracker today, and I can see that your ticket is still in our development queue.

This means our developers are still planning to look at this, but we don’t yet have a timeframe for when that’s going to happen.

Once the ticket has been scheduled and work begins, I’ll have a better sense of timing here. Thanks in advance for your patience!

– Noris

Thank you for the update.
I’m looking forward about that.

Hi. Very disappointed that the latest version still doesn’t resolve this issue…

Hi @KENKEN,

I’m taking another look at this case but your symptoms seem to be a bit different than the other people who are having issues just identifying the MQACDs.

Can you try disabling DSP if you have it enabled for your Pro-Ject zone and let me know if that changes anything? Does this same issue also occur on other MQA zones or is the behavior limited to just the S2 zone?

– Noris

Thanks for reply.

I disabling DSP and use UDP-205 as DAC to play MQACD “Songs in the Key of Life” by Stevie Wonder. I got my result like other users. roon can only recognize half of the tracks as MQA.

Track 01 - X
Track 02 - O
Track 03 - X
Track 04 - X
Track 05 - X
Track 06 - O
Track 07 - O
Track 08 - X
Track 09 - O
Track 10 - O

Then I switched to S2 and the result is same …
Btw, no click sound between track 06 - 07, and track 09 - 10.

**Even thou roon couldn’t recognize MQA and sends regular flac files to DAC, **
DAC still can recognize files as MQA that’s why the click sound happens.

Hi @Kenken,

You mentioned this:

Just to make sure I understand you correctly here, when you used the Oppo DAC as the endpoint, you did not experience the clicking sound?

If this is the case I believe you may be having two separate issues here, one being MQA content is not recognized properly (which has an active ticket with our team) and the other being that MQA tracks are causing clicking sounds on your Pro-ject zone. Does that sound about right to you?

I did a search and came across this thread (MQA dropouts during play) which reports similar symptoms to yours, I would check to make sure that you are using the newest firmware on the Pro-ject S2. Do let me know if that helps.

– Noris

I’m sorry. My explanation might be confusing you.
Pls forget about the click sounds.

My problem is like the others.
Roon can only recognizes some of the MQA contents.
That’s why MQA decoder goes on and off between those contents.
Both UDP-205 and Pro-ject S2 has the same reaction.