Playback issues with ROCK and RoonBridge

Hello roon team @support ,

I am enountering from time to time problems with my setup. I have Roon core on a NUC 7i3 and use a Roonbridge with RaspberryPi (with IQaudioDAC) in my living room. Unfortunatly it is not possible to connect them via ethernet but the wifi works fine. I am using it also for Netflix and Amazon Prime where I don’t have any problems.
The problem is the music is playing quiet well but sometimes it stops entirely and one has to press the play button again. Another problem is lacks in the music. This happens for TIDAL, MP3 and FLAC input. So it seems the RAAT communication is breaking down for some reason. I have collected some log files and uploaded it.

Link to logfiles

Help is appreciated because it is getting really annoying.

Thank you for the help.
duronflo

Hey @Florian_Richter — Thank you for the detailed report, it’s appreciated!

To start, may I kindly ask that you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

May I also ask that you please confirm the following:

• Since noticing this behavior, have you tried power cycling your Core machine, RoonBridge, endpoints, and any networking hardware?
  • Are you experiencing this with other zones, or just one? If you play directly to the system output of a remote device, do you experience the same behavior?
  • When this behavior occurs, is there any sort of pattern you’ve noticed? Are you playing a certain type of file? Is it during a certain time of day (perhaps when network traffic is higher than usual)?

Thank you,
Dylan

hello @dylan ,

thank you for reply. Sorry for my late reply I was quiet busy. The issue is still there.

My setup is as following:

In the guest room I have stored the RoonServer + NAS. In the living room I have a Rasperberry Pi2 (B Model) with IQAudioDAC shield which is connected to my amplifier. Unfortunatly I have no LAN cable
which connects the guest room and the living room (bee line approx 4-5m). I have the same distance with my Amazon Fire TV stick and no problems at all watching movies and series.

guest room:
I have ROCK installed on a Intel NUC7i3BNH (4GB RAM). The NUC is connected via LAN with a Fritz!Box 7430 which acts as router and LAN switch. A Synology DS207 where the music is stored is also connected
to that Fritz!box. I use files in FLAC and MP3 (different bitrates) as music container. I also listen to music from TIDAL and InternetRadio which is streamed via internet.

living room:
In the living room is my Rasperberry Pi2 (B Model) with IQAudioDAC shield which is connected via Wifi to the Fritz!Box router. The Wifi interface on the RaspPi is a Edimax N150 which is recommended for
the RasPi. I installed roon bridge on the dietpi distribution (currently v 6.0 || Linux wohnzimmer 4.9.59-v7+ #1047).

I also encounter the issue with the internet radio feature. I always have to restart the playback again manually. Is there a possiblity to restart automatically again? This is more also a general question for me.
For the internet radio issue I have also uploaded files to the same source.

Issue#1 - Playback stops with local MP3 and TIDAL online content
Issue#2 - Playback stops with internet radio.

I really would appreciate some help. Maybe the problem is the Raspberry Pi with dietpi distribution. Do you have a good recommondation or something on that?

Thank you!

Try to connect with a long lan cable to see if that helps…my guess is that it will. Even if it’s a temporary test you need to eliminate the WiFi connection. It’s a known area of weakness with rpi setups, no matter how great you think the signal strength is, many of us have been down this road before.

Thanks for the update, @Florian_Richter!

As @wizardofoz mentioned above, a great test here would be to connect the RaspberryPi using an Ethernet connection and seeing if the experience improves. We’ve seen similar issues related to using WiFi in the past, so this test will allow us to verify if this is indeed the case here.

Regards,
Dylan