Playback not starting on Roon when accessing music sources (ref#JW2T3H)

What best describes your playback issue?

· Other

Is there a specific error message you see? If so, please select from the following options:

· Other

Please try to reboot your Roon Server and check to see if this helps.

· Rebooting my Server had no effect, the issue remains

Please try to reboot and unplug/replug in your affected audio device and check to see if this helps.

· Rebooting and unplugging/replugging my audio device, the issue remains

Please open your Roon Remote and select the "System Output" Zone and try to play to it. Do you encounter any playback errors with this Zone?

· Playback *errors for both* my other zone and when I play to System Output as well

Please try fully rebooting your network equipment

· No, I'm still having trouble

An issue with playback on System Output and another zone often indicates a network security problem. *Check your firewall(s)* to ensure that *Roon*, *RoonServer *and *RAATServer* are allowed to properly communicate

· I'm still having problems / This isn't relevant to me

Does the issue happen with local library music, streaming service music, or both?

· Both local and streaming content are affected

Please try playing content of a lower sample rate (44.1kHz or 48kHz). Do you still have the same issue?

· No, lower sample rates are still affected

What is the model/manufacturer of the affected audio device(s) and the connection type?

· Bricasti M21 w/internal media renderer..

Describe the issue

Whatever source I attempt to access (Tidal/Qobuz or my SSD inside my Nucleus+), Roon finds the album or track. However, when I subsequently click Play, I always receive this same message: “Starting playback on your Audio device. This may take a moment!” After three seconds or so, the message disappears, but the music never starts playing. I have already performed the recommended reboots, unplugs, and reinstallations.

Describe your network setup

Arris cable modem; Luxul 1024 network switch; Nucleus+ w/ Teddy Pardo linear power supply; Bricasti M21 DAC w/ internal media renderer. Ethernet cables are a mix of DH Labs and Shunyata Sigma V2. Power cables are Shunyata.

Hi @Jonathan_Meyers,

Good to see you on community - sorry to hear you’re having more playback issues! I was able to review a fresh Nucleus diagnostic report, and see immediate network bandwidth being throttled, specifically to the Bricast device. Perhaps it’s related to your prior issue?

Can you test out bypassing all your network gear and get a direct ethernet connection setup form your Nculeus to your primary router? Let me know if your issues persist.

Which system output are you referring to? I was only seeing playback via your DAC from recent diagnostics. Let me know if you’re able to reproduce this and share the date, time, and name of the track attempted to play.

Thank you!

I did some late-night Google searching for a solution to my problem. Based on that, I have two items to post about it. (1) Apparently, there is a software compatibility issue between the Bricasti media renderer and the Roon Nucleus+. It turns out that, if one rapidly changes – repeatedly – the track being played (for example, 10 seconds of a Bob Dylan track, then 10 seconds of Chopin, then 10 seconds of Rolling Stones, etc.), the Bricasti’s cache memory becomes full and further inputs to it are rejected. The solution for this problem is to completely turn off the Bricasti DAC for 30 seconds before restarting it. During that hiatus, the cache memory is emptied; once restarted, streaming from external services as well as locally stored music (again) works perfectly. (2) Roon has excellent customer service, but it is too insular in that available solutions are generally confined to prior postings that address that specific problem. Roon needs to incorporate AI into its search engine so that a Roon customer can see what “answers” have been posted somewhere else on the Internet which might be helpful.

2 Likes

Nice work @Jonathan_Meyers! I will certainly share the report with our team.

Happy listening! :notes:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.