Playback of locally-stored hi-def files no longer working on Mac/Catalina

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Operating system macOS Catalina version 10.15.1
Mac Pro, 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Roon library on external 6TB USB disk - contains 9,581 albums, majority of which are in 24-bit FLAC or DSD format, with some 16-bit format files
Roon Version 1.6 (build 475) stable (64 bit)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Mac Pro is connected to home Asus router via Ethernet, with average 40Mbps download speed via ADSL2

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Issue persists irrespective of playback device - either Mac 27inch Cinema Display internal audio, or external DACs

Description Of Issue

After recent upgrade to latest version of Catalina and Roon, all music files were automatically re-indexed by Roon.

All albums appear in Roon as usual, with all thumbnail images, album & artist details, etc. populated correctly as usual.

Any album can be selected - and relevant track details appear as usual.

When any track or album is played however (either by hitting the blue ‘Play Now’ button for the entire album, or by hitting the track ‘Play’ button), I see the following error messages:

‘Playback was interrupted because a track failed to load.’
‘Too many failures. Stopping playback.’

I have tried dozens of albums and tracks of varying format and resolution, and always receive those same error messages.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @Keith_Sheridan,

Since experiencing this issue have you tried rebooting you Core machine?

Hi Dylan,

Thank-you for the response. Yes, I had attempted rebooting . . . multiple times. The problem corrected itself after a complete re-indexing that took very many hours. It was my impatience I think that was the issue.

Hi @Keith_Sheridan,

I’m glad that things are working for you now! Please feel free to reach out if you ever have any other questions or issues. Happy listening :headphones:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.