Playback pausing unexpectedly [Resolved]

Since updating to the 1.4 (build 300) I now have 1 dropout every single time I use Roon. I’ve never ever had this issue before. It seems every time there’s a so called ‘upgrade’ something else is negatively effected. What’s the deal with you guys? Again, I’m definitely glad I didn’t opt for the lifetime Roon subscription. I’m sorry to say this, but what else could I say? I’ve had nothing but annoying issues with a very expensive music software player.

Please excuse me by saying the issue I’m having is with dropouts. The issue is not dropouts, but what is happening is Roon is pausing during playback 1 time every time I launch. All I need to do is click the pause button to resume playback, so again, this is not a dropout issue, but rather an automatic pausing issue.

Hi Joseph,

Can you describe your setup as per this thread. Support will look in shortly and help find out what is up.

1 Like

Hi Andrew,

No manipulation at all from Roon software, everything is disabled.

MacBook Pro (10.13.3) > uR > SU-1 > Holo Spring

Thank you,
Joseph

Hi @Joseph ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. The insight is appreciated and sorry to hear of the troubles. Let’s see if we can get this figured out for you.

To help us better understand and properly advise on this behavior you are experiencing, may I very kindly ask you for the following:

• Please verify where your musical collection is being stored/accessed from.

• If you play directly out of the MacBook Pro via the internal speakers do you notice these random playback stoppages?

• During your troubleshooting have you tried shortening the chain of communication between your devices?

MBP > Holo Spring

MBP > UR > Holo Spring

MBP > SU-1 > Holo Spring

• Under the above conditions do you experience the same behavior?

-Eric

Eric,

Yes, under all of the above conditions I’ve experienced the pausing issue every time I launch Roon (since the latest upgrade) but this will only happen 1 time, then playback is fine the rest of the night.

Thank you,
Joseph

Happens within the first 10-15 minutes of playing…just automatically paused, so I just clicked play and the track resumed from where it paused. Now it won’t happen agin for the rest of the night.

Thanks

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tracks only play for 2 seconds

Thank you for the follow up @Joseph, appreciated!

Concerning the “above”, may I kindly ask you to please provide the answers to the following:

• Please verify where your musical collection is being stored/accessed from.
  • If you play directly out of the MacBook Pro via the internal speakers do you notice these random playback stoppages?

Additionally, can you verify for me that the UltrRendu is up to date. I seem to recall Sonore recently updating to the a newer version of RoonReady and to update the device must be accessed through the WebUI via SonicOrbiter.com.

Lastly, do you find that rebooting the Holo Spring DAC ever improves things?

-Eric

Eric,

My music collection is stored on my MBP HD. I Imported my music from iTunes to Roon. Also, I can launch and listen to iTunes without this issue.

Yes, if I play music directly from my MBP speakers, Roon will automatically pause. Very strange. I can’t stress to you enough that this only happens 1 time upon the initial launch within 10-15 minutes of playback. Roon automatically pauses playback, then I just press play (un-pause) and it resumes playback from where it paused and never happens again until I relaunch the next night. This happens whether I’m listening to my music library or Tidal files.

Thank you,
Joseph

Thank you for you for touching base with me @Joseph and my sincerest apologies for the slow response.

I had a chance to discuss this behavior with our tech team today and as per the conversation may I kindly ask you to please provide/perform the following:

• Please provide the specs of the of the MacBook Pro currently hosting your Roon core.

• Our tech team would like to take a closer look into this behavior you are experiencing by enabling diagnostics on your account. Before I enable this feature please reproduce the issue and note the time when playback pauses and the track that it paused on.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Here are the specs; 01 PM
As I mentioned, playback pauses within the first 10-15 minutes after launching, and the track/file doesn’t matter. Last night was the first time the issue didn’t occur, but this afternoon, the issue occurred as it regularly does.

Thank you,
Joseph

Thank you for touching base with me, @Joseph. Appreciated!

I realize that the track/file does not matter in regard to this behavior but my asking was so we can expedite our log analysis by knowing exactly had been playing at the time of the error (i.e "…please reproduce the issue). I have enabled the mentioned diagnostics on your account and will confirm once the report has been received so you know we have it.

-Eric

Thank you, Eric.

Hi @Joseph ----- Apologies for delay. I wanted to let you know that we have received the mentioned diagnostics report and I have since passed it over to our techs for analysis. Once the team has updated my report I will be sure to share their thoughts/findings with you asap.

-Eric

Sounds good, Eric.

Thanks again,
Joseph

Hi @Joseph ----- Thank you again for your patience while our team has been looking into this “pausing” behavior you are experiencing when the application is first launched.

Continuing forward, our team has noted that they are not seeing anything conclusive in the logs that seems to correlate with this issue you are reporting. However, our techs have asked if you could verify that the MacBook Pro hosting your core machine has an solid state drive installed in it. I did some researched and noticed that the “Mid 2012 model” comes with a “500GB 5400-rpm hard drive” installed in it stock and since you noticed this behavior via the internal speakers on the device, we want to be sure this isn’t some kind of performance issue occurring.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Yes, you’re correct about the specs on my MBP, and I didn’t install a SSD (I don’t believe it’s possible with this M/Y?)

Anyway, since the most recent upgrade (about a week ago) I haven’t had the pausing issue at all. It seems every time there’s an upgrade I have strange some strange behavior with Roon. But once again, I haven’t experienced the issue since the last upgrade, so. Thank you & your team for trying to resolve the issue in the meantime, I appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Joseph

Eric,

Since the new update (build 306) I haven’t have any issues with playback pausing. Just letting you know being I haven’t heard back from you about it.

Joseph

Hi @Joseph ---- Thank you for the update and my apologies for the delay here. I am very pleased to hear things have been remained stable with your setup since updating to build306.

Moving forward, I am going to be closing this thread out and marking it as resolved, however, should you experience this behavior again just drop me a PM and I will be glad to re-open for further troubleshooting.

Additionally, in regard to the device hosting your core. According to the link provided in my previous it looks like “Mid 2012 model” can be upgraded with an SSD. I would strongly recommended considering this option to avoid any potential performance issues.

-Eric