Playback skips/jumps after track change

@support
Whenever I hit the “next track” button Roon takes a very long time to start playing the next track (10-30sec wait). Then, when the next track finally starts, it plays for about 1-2sec and then quickly jumps to about 25-30sec into the track and the music goes silent. If I pause and play again the music will come back. Also, If pause the jumping track and scroll it back to the beginning it will play normally. This will happen for both local library tracks and Tidal tracks.
I have no issue when the playback naturally moves to the next track in queue at the end of the currently playing track (including crossfade)

I am running a headless Roon Core 1.6 which is playing over a wired network to a bluesound node 2i network player.

Thanks

Hello @guy_gichon,

Can you provide some more information here?

• What is the model/manufacturer of your router, any switches, range extenders, powerline adapters, ect?
  • Is the Bluesound Node 2 on WiFi or Ethernet?
  • What kind of Core are you using (OSX/Windows/Linux)?
  • Does this issue only occur for the Bluesound zone or for other zones as well (or “System Output” if you don’t have other zones)?

Thanks,
Noris

• I am using a Dlink dsl225 router with no switches or extenders.

• the Bluesound Node 2i is on Ethernet using a cat7 cable

• I am using a Windows 10 Roon Core server version 1.6

• I only have the bluesound as a single zone and the Core is a headless system with no system output.
    If I use the bluesound directly through the blueOS (and not through Roon) to play the same music (Tidal or hard drive connected to the computer running the Roon server) I experience no issues.

Hi @guy_gichon,

Thanks for letting me know that info.

• Does this same issue still occur for non-bluesound zones or is it just limited to the Node 2i?

• Is your Bluesound up to date with the newest firmware?

• Can you please reproduce this issue once more and note the exact local time (ex. 9:29PM) that you observe this behavior occur at? I can then enable diagnostics mode for your account and see if there are any clues as to where Roon is unable to continue at.

• I am unable to find an email address associated with your account, can you please private message me the email that you are logged into your Core with for diagnostics mode?

Thanks,
Noris

1. I only have a single zone in my system which is the bluesound, so I can’t say if this issue occurs or not with other zones.
  2. My Bluesound is up to date
  3. I will reproduce the issue once you tell me you have activated debug mode for my account

Hi @guy_gichon,

Thanks for sending the email address over, I just activated diagnostics – please reproduce the issue and note the exact local time in your country that it occurs at and let me know.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris
Just experienced the issue at 22:59 (a few sec before 23:00)
I manually skipped the playback to an Alanis Morissette track and the playback jumped to about 25sec within the track and audio was lost. I had to pause and play again a couple of times to regain audio.

By the way, I noticed that when I look back at the previously played tracks in the queue tab many tracks are marked as played less than 100% even though I am sure I played them start to end 100% without skipping forward. They are usy marked as played around 95%. You can see an example with the track played after Alanis Morissette, even though both tracks played without interrupt - Alanis is marked 100% and Eros Ramazzotti is 95%. Is this somehow due to crossfade?

P.S - just happend several more times between 00:27-00:29. Good night :slightly_smiling_face:

Many thanks.

Hello @guy_gichon,

I can confirm that the diagnostics have been received but I am not seeing any errors around that time, I am going to ask QA to take a look here.

Can I please ask you to send me the BluOS diagnostics from the Node 2i as well? The easiest way to get this info would be to enter IP of device of the Node into browser, click “Diagnostics”, then click “More”, then copy the text from the browser into a text file and share the text file.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
How do I share the file? I can only find the option to share images but no other file type

Hi @guy_gichon,

I just sent you upload instructions via private message.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @guy_gichon,

Thanks for sending those log files over, I have asked QA to take a look to see if they can identify any possible causes for this behavior. I appreciate your patience until this request reaches their queue.

– Noris

Hello @guy_gichon,

I spoke to QA regarding this issue and it appears to be due to a performance limitation on your Roon Core. In the diagnostics it shows that the Core is making use of a 32-bit Atom CPU which does not meet our recommended hardware. Can you please check to see if this issue occurs on another machine that meets those requirements?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris
Yes I am trying to squeeze the juice out of an old computer I have laying around :slightly_smiling_face:
The computer is running Win10 64bit (not 32bit) and during Roon playback the CPU is at around 12% usage. I also notice that the processing speed indicator in Roon is more than x90.
So, despite not meeting the recommended requirements do you still think the issue I am having is related to the HW I’m using?

Hello @guy_gichon,

The easiest way to verify if this is a hardware issue would be to try another Core. Do you by any chance have a PC around that meets those recommended specs I mentioned and could temporarily try hosting the Roon Core there? This would be a very good data point to have.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
I moved the Core to my core i7 vPro 7th Gen laptop,
Of course in general everything is working much smoother but I just experience the same “skip/jump” at 22:37 or 22:38

Do you need a dump from my Node 2i?
Guy

Hi @guy_gichon,

Thanks for letting me know those timestamps. Yes, the Node 2i logs would be appreciated just so we can have an overview of the full issue. I have also checked our servers for the logs from your i7 vPro Core attempt but I could not locate them, would it be possible for you to manually send us the diagnostics from that Core using these instructions?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @guy_gichon,

Thanks for sending those log files over. From what I can see in the logs it appears that you network connection is failing at those timestamps, specifically I am seeing 401 networking error messages and general network instability.

While you were streaming a local file at that time, for the file to reach the Node 2i it has to be sent over the network from the Core and if the network side of things are not working as expected then this could be part of the issue here.

My first suggestion here would be to try to temporarily replace your router with another one from a friend or work if possible to see if the issue goes away. If it does, then we can take a closer look at the router or even replace it with another one. If you don’t have another router to test with, then would it be possible for you to bring your setup to a family or friend’s house to test on their network? This should give us similar data in that the network is causing issues here. Please let me know your results when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris
I decided to reset my whole system

I started with a fresh Win 10 installation and a fresh Roon install and built the DB from scratch.

Everything is working smoothly now. Including DSP upsamling :slightly_smiling_face:
(Referring to my out of recommended spec Atom computer)

Thanks for your support

Hi @guy_gichon,

Great to hear that everything is working on a properly spec’d Core! :slight_smile:
Thanks again for contacting support and hope you have a great day.

– Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.