Playback stops every couple songs

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

I am running Roon (Version 1.6, build 416) on a NUC7i7 ROCK with 8GB RAM and a 250GB SSD. My music is stored on an external 6TB USB HDD. I also use Qobuz.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All equipment is connected via Ethernet. I have a fiber optic modem in my home which feeds an Apple AirPort Extreme which serves as the router. From the Extreme, there is an Ethernet cable run to a D-Link GO-SW-5G switch. My ROCK and Linn Akurate DSM are both connected to the switch.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Linn Akurate DSM, all current hardware, connected via Ethernet.

Description Of Issue

I have had this issue for a while and have been hoping the next update to Roon will fix it, but that has not been the case. Instead, the problem seems to be getting worse. Currently what is happening is that a couple songs in my Playlist will play and then the music will stop. When I look at the Queue, it shows that I am at the beginning of the song right before the one that played before playback stopped. In other words, if playback stopped after the third song then my control point shows that playback is on the second track but stopped. The blue playback meter icon next to the track is bouncing around as if the track were playing but there is no progress on the playback bar. Usually it is stuck at the beginning of the track, but there have been a couple of times that it has been stuck somewhere in the middle of the song. I have unplugged the ROCK for a while with no change in the behavior. I have reinstalled the OS with no change in behavior.

On a separate, much less frustrating topic, Roon Radio will keep repeating the same few songs intermittently and the number of tracks between the repeated group will become fewer as Radio playback continues. I can live with this problem, but not with the playback stopping every few tracks.

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

Hi @Gary_Bruestle,

Does this behavior only occur with the Linn Akurate? If you play to a different endpoint, like System Output of a remote, do the playback stops go away?

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for the speedy response - and sorry for my slow reply. I only listen to music on the Akurate DSM. I had to do some experimenting with playback on my iPhone 8. It has been going for an hour plus without stopping. Apparently it is an Akurate-specific problem. Do you have any further suggestions, or should I contact Linn?

Thanks!

Gary

Well, it seems like ROCK and the Linn are both connected via the same switch. I would start by switching out the switch.

Try a Netgear 5 port gigabyte switch instead. I use these https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Protection-GS105NA/dp/B0000BVYT3 with very good results.

Hi @Gary_Bruestle,

Thanks for confirming that this seems to be specific to the Linn. We have opened up an investigation to this issue with Linn, but do note that investigations such as these may take some time due to the collaboration between our two companies.

In the meantime, it may be good, as Daniel suggested, to try bypassing the switch and see if there is any improvement here. You can try to connect the Core and the Linn directly to the router and test how things work in this configuration.

I will let you know as soon as we have further news, thanks in advance for your patience here!

Hi Dylan,

I did a ‘Fallback’ (factory reset) on the Linn Akurate and reinstalled the firmware for the unit. I have been playing music for a couple hours with no stopping. It appears the problem is solved. I will let you know if the playback stopping occurs again. Thank you for making me think of the problem in a different way.

Happy weekend,

Gary

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.