Playback stops in weird state

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10/HP i7 laptop/build 505

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Core wired to Motorola AC1900

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Squeezeboxes, Chromecasts & Google Assistant devices

Description Of Issue

Playback stops every 30-60 minutes. All controllers show that playback has stopped BUT they show the pause button instead of the play button. Clicking pause switches the button to play but clicking play does not cause playback to resume.

The only way to resume playback is to start a different track, either by clicking next or previous or starting a completely new queue

If I look at the zone on another controller, it’s in the same state with the same behavior

Hi @RJ_Plummer,

Is this happening with all endpoints? Can you get the same behavior to occur if you play to System Output?

It definitely happens with all endpoints. System output has gone an hour without interruption.

So it seems like networking is involved in playback stopping. It seems unlikely that a network issue keeps me from being able to resume the song. It seems odd that the controller knows no playback progress has occurred (sometimes for hours), but doesn’t realize playback has stopped.

Thanks for verifying this, @RJ_Plummer.

Are your devices connected via WiFi? Are you able to connect a squeezebox via Ethernet and let us know if that changes the behavior here at all?

I have a similar issue - will raise a separate thread for it.

Connected my Boom via Ethernet. It stopped playing after about 10 minutes, but the controller showed it was stopped and I was able to resume playing. Different issue?

Also, do not have interruptions streaming any other source to the Chromecasts or Google Assistant devices

Hi @RJ_Plummer,

It would seem that the behavior is improved slightly via Ethernet but not resolved entirely.

Were you playing local content here or using a streaming service? Where is your local content stored?

Playback actually stopped more often when playing via ethernet.

But I was using local content stored on an external hard drive, USB3-connected to the core machine

Hi @RJ_Plummer,

Just to be clear, is it still stopping in this way?

Since this issue doesn’t occur for local playback (System Output), it definitely seems like there is some networking trouble at play here.

Is there any other networking gear in use here, or just the Motorola router?

With the squeezebox connected by cable, the controller shows (so far) playing has paused and I am able to restart with the play/pause button.

The motorola router is the only piece of networking equipment.

Hi @RJ_Plummer,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Just stopped at 11:33am and 11:44am PST

3:17pm PST

Hi @RJ_Plummer,

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Do diagnostics increase load significantly? Appears to be stopping every 1-10 minutes now

Hi @RJ_Plummer,

I wanted to reach out because I’ve been keeping an eye on our servers, waiting for the aforementioned diagnostics report.

For some reason it is not reaching our servers, even after I tried re-enabling diagnostics on your account. I also ran a quick test and I was able to submit a similar report from my setup here, so something else is going on.

So we can move forward, I was hoping for now you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Hi @RJ_Plummer,

I spoke with the team about the logs you’ve sent over and we are seeing a lot of errors specifically related to Chromecast devices connecting over the network. Moving forward, here’s what we’d like to try:

• If you have any firewall enabled on the Core machine, disable it temporarily
  • If that doesn’t help, try using Google DNS as it may help with the networking issue
  • If you’re still seeing issues after those options, can you try powering down the Chromecast devices completely and play to the Squeezebox? Is there any change when doing so?

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.