Playback stops mid-track

Hello, I’m having a similar problem where ROON will stop outputing sound mid song. Sometime when this happens and I look at my Android Phone App I will see the counter and progress bar still moving along playing the song but no sound being output from speakers. If I click Pause…wait till signal stream indicator light goes out…then click play again it will be fine…for a while, then it will do it again at some random interval. Other times when this happens, the progress bar and counter will not be moving along, it just looks to have paused itself. I click Play again and its fine…for a while.

Below are a few screen shots showing the details of my Roon Core. I am using it via ASIO/USB direct into a Lynx Hilo DAC. I am also using Convolution Engine and DSP Vol control …FWIW

Hi @Chris_F123,

Thanks for sharing those screenshots. Can you please let me know the following additional info?

1. Does this behavior only occur on your Lync Hilo DAC or does it occur on other zones as well?
  2. How often would you say you notice this behavior? Once a day? Once an hour? More/less?
  3. Are you using the newest firmware/driver version for your Lynx Hilo?
  4. If you turn off all DSP operations, does the behavior still occur?
  5. Does this issue only occur when playing back .WAV files? Have you noticed this behavior at all on .FLAC or other format types?

Hello, Sorry for the late reply but I don’t come here very often.

1. The Lynx Hilo is the only DAC I use with Roon so nothing else to compare with. The other endpoint is a system that no longer has a DAC attached to it.

2. Some days it doesn’t happen at all. In fact I can go several days with not an issue. Then on other weeks, like this week (today), it happens 5 times in one day.

3.I am using the newest driver version available for my DAC’s USB interface as well as latest firmware

1. I’ve not tried turning off DSP yet. My system is specifically setup to use DSP so undoing it is not something I’m too hot to try right now. If I get desperate my mind might change though. Not there yet.

2. The issue doesn’t seem to follow any file format consistency. It happens on all types (.flac,.wav.dsd)

So with that I do have other info to add that I’ve noticed today. Sometimes when the issue happens I will see a very brief pop up message in ROON on the Core that says something to the effect of “A file is playing slowly” or sum such.

So here is a gripe…why on God’s Green Earth does that message not remain up for longer or appear elsewhere in a Log? I’ve looked at every log I can find on the system related to ROON and not a single Peep of this error message in any log…WTF Not sure how issues will be tracked down when there is not a useful log or running log with historical info in it. Would seem to me fairly useful to get a better look at that quickly disappearing message. Like a fart in the wind, one second its there and then its gone forever. One can only hope to capture a screen shot of it next time.:rage:

Anyway, I find the file access speed issue to be strange as LAN access speed is pretty fast. Below is a test I performed from the ROON Core to the NAS where the Music lives:

DAW_SpeedTest_ToNAS

Hey miracles do happen, I was able to capture this elusive message with pure luck:
boom

FWIW, I see no signs of hardware issues in the Windows Event Log or elsewhere on the Core server.

Something else to add here. While running a program called LatencyMon which looks at various Windows processes…etc I see this listed for ROON:

Any idea why ROON would be creating so many Page Faults? The Core has 16gb of RAM so not sure why ROON would be using virtual memory on disk so much since there is still plenty of Free RAM still available.

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS

Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: roon.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 2301
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 1783
Number of processes hit: 19

Hi @Chris_F123,

I can’t say for sure the cause of the page faults, but I do have a few other suggestions here that we should take a look at first:

Can you try copying a few files off the NAS and save them to your Windows 10’s local HDD instead? Does the same behavior still occur with the NAS out of the equation?

Is the behavior the same if you try to output tracks to “System Output” (your laptop’s speakers)?

I noticed here that you are using the ASIO driver, can you try the WASAPI driver and let me know if the behavior is the same?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.