Playback stops since latest Roon update

Since the latest Roon update (1.6 build 401) playback stops after the first or second track.
The status bar is not moving at all (stays on start position).
With previous releases never had this issue.
No changes have been made to my set-up.
My single setup is ASUS ROG I7 / WS2016 / Roon Server / Tidal / HQP / FP / AO / Singxer SU-1 / Gustard X-20 Pro.

Hi @Benno,

So we can better assist you, please describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

• If you play to System Output of a remote device does the same behavior occur?
  • If you play local content instead of TIDAL do you still receive stops?
  • If you don’t use HQP does the same stop occur?

Hi Dylan,

Thank you very much for your fast reply.
Please find below questions to your answers:

Network configuration/topology:

• Input to laptop:
    • Internet via LAN connection (Devolo).
  • Programs running on laptop (ASUS ROG I7):
    • Windows Server 2016.
    • Roon server.
    • Tidal.
    • Fidelizer pro.
    • Audiophile optimizer (disabled during tests).
    • HQ player (disabled during last test).
  • Roon controlled via Roon Remote app. on android phone.
  • Output chain:
    • wired connection (USB) from laptop to USB audio bridge (Singxer SU-1).
    • wired connection (I2S) from USB audio bridge to DAC (Gustard X-20 Pro).
    • wired connection (RCA) from DAC to headphone amp (Schitt Valhalla 2).

Test results:

• Play to System Output of a remote device: not been able to test yet.
  • Playing local content instead of TIDAL: still receiving stops, track status bar not moving.
  • Removing HQP from the chain: no stops and track status bar runs normal.

It looks like the interface between Roon and HQP causes the problem.
What would be the next step?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Benno

Hi @Benno,

Since it looks like this behavior is stemming from the use of HQP, can you try reinstalling HQP and see if there is any change?

Hi Dylan,

I’ve reinstalled HQP several times but unfortunately there’s not any change.

Kind regards,

Benno

Hi @Benno,

Please make sure your HQPlayer is updated to the latest version. In addition, check that you have the bitrate limit in the HQPlayer settings configured to “48k x256” as well as “Auto Family Rate” enabled.

Hi Dylan,

HQ Player was already updated to the latest version and also changing the other HQP settings did not help.
Hereafter I did a clean reinstallation of Roon which also did not help.
In order to exclude other software/hardware influences I’ve installed Roon and HQP on a spare laptop running on Windows 10. Here everything works perfectly fine.
Hence it has the smell that Roon and HQP don’t seem to get along on Windows 2016 Server anymore since the latest Roon update.

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Benno

Hello @Benno,

Can you check and make sure you are able to play local content using the HQPlayer app without Roon to your DAC on your Windows 10 Server machine? I would also check that your firewall settings are up to date, Windows 10 will occasionally fail to update it’s firewall rules when applications update themselves. For the purposes of testing, it would be advisable to turn the Windows Firewall off.

In addition, you should also try the following diagnostic

1. Make sure HQPlayer has the “Allow Control From Network” option enabled.
  2. Run Roon Core on the “spare laptop running Windows 10”.
  3. In the Settings > Setup screen, enter the IP address of your Windows 10 Server computer in the “Add HQPlayer” screen.
  4. Attempt playback to the HQPlayer zone from the Roon Core on the spare laptop.

I would also recommend running this process in reverse. That is, run Roon Core on your Windows 10 Server, and point it to the HQPlayer instance running on your spare laptop.

-John

Hello John,

Thank you for your advice.
I finally found some time to check things out:

1. Playing local content using HQPlayer app without Roon on Windows Server 2016 computer works fine.

2. Windows firewall has been turned off during all current and previous tests.

3. Running Roon Core on the “spare laptop running Windows 10 and playback to to the HQPlayer zone on Windows Server 2016 computer via IP adress gives the same playback stop error.

1. Running Roon Core on the Windows Server 2016 computer and playback to the HQPlayer zone on the Windows 10 spare laptop works fine!

Looking forward to your next advice.

Benno

Hello John,

Could you please advise the status of my problem?
Are there any tests/checks performed by Roon and/or HQP?

Thanks and kind regards,

Benno

Hello @Benno,

We have our technical team taking a look into this, we have so far been unable to reproduce this behavior you are seeing on a regular Windows 10 install. The QA team has a ticket to attempt playback with HQPlayer on Windows Server 2016, I hope to have feedback from them in the next few days. I will be sure to reach out with the conclusions from their testing or if anything changes.

-John

Hello John,

Is there any news yet?
Sorry for my reminder but I’m starting to miss my audio set-up more and more every day.
Would it help if I post my problem at HQP as well?

Kind regards,

Benno

Hi John,

A few days have been changed in a few weeks by now and I’m losing hope.
Could you please update me on the status?
Benno