Playback stops suddenly in single roon zone

Dear @Support,

I would be grateful for some help with a problem that suddenly appeared this morning: Playback on one of the two zones suddenly stops after about a 3 minutes of playback. The zone that exhibits this problem is on my Win 10 PC that runs roon as remote control. It has been working perfectly for months but this morning it suddenly started having this problem.
The other zone (mini linux PC with Roon Bridge) runs without issues.

I have tried to Reset my router, restart the pc, restart the core etc. Playback on my PC zone stops consistently after about 3-4 minutes of playback. No message is displayed, playback just stops.

Would you be able to help me with this?
Many thanks
Yiannis

Hi @Yiannis_Kouropalatis ---- I would be glad to try and help you get this sorted out.

Before we look into enabling diagnostics on your account and gathering timestamps of when the issue occurs may I very kindly ask you for the following information:

• Can you please provide some specs of the PC having the issue.

• My assumption is that this is happening with any content played (local or TIDAL), but please confirm.

• Do you have a DAC mounted to the mentioned PC or are playing directly out of the internal speakers?

• Have you confirmed that there is nothing potentially interfering with RAATServer, such as Win firewalls or antivirus applications running on the mentioned PC?

• Any recent WIN10 updates?

-Eric

Hi @Eric

Many thanks for offering to help and for getting back to me so quickly :slight_smile:
I will provide the details you need and also wanted to let you know I have done some ‘digging’ following your prompt regarding the firewall.

While nothing appears to have changed on my pc, some windows 10 updates have been recently installed.

It appears that if I disable the windows firewall then the problem disappears: Playback continues without a problem. Once I re-enable the windows 10 firewall then playback stops after 3 minutes.

I double checked and the roon apps are checked as ‘allowed’ through the firewall. Have a look at the screenshot below:

• PC specs:
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Core I7 4790K
    32GB RAM
    1TB SSD by Samsung
    Running Roon Bridge and Roon as control

• indeed the issue occurs with both local and internet radio

• I am using a pair of Bowers Wilkins MM1 speakers which include a dac. I have also tried playback with a pair of headphones running directly out of the MoBo headphone jack. same problems

• Once I deactivate the windows firewall then the problem disappears.

• Windows 10 recently updated but nothing major. Please see below for details of updates.

I then tried to unistall both roon and roon bridge followed by a re-install. Windows firewall prompted for allowing access to roon which I selected. Unfortunately this did not fix the issue.

Any ideas?
Best
Yiannis

A post was split to a new topic: Random stops in playback (Ubuntu Core)

Hi @Eric

Just an update: For unknown reasons, this morning the problem appears to have resolved itself. I am able to use the PC zone without issue so far. Not sure why or how the issue was resolved as the steps outlined above did not seem to have any effect at the time. Windows 10 mysteries…

I will monitor how this goes for a few hours and if it is ok we can then close the support request.

Will update a bit later
many thanks

@Chris_F123 I am sure support will help you out with the issue you are having. Maybe worth opening a separate support request so that the wonderful Roon team can take a look at your system.

Best
YIannis

Thanks for the update(s) @Yiannis_Kouropalatis, very appreciated! I wanted to check in and see how things have been holding up.

Looking forward to your feedback!
-Eric

Hi Eric,

I can confirm all seems to be working ok. Tested playback throughout the day and there is no trace of the issue I faced yesterday. To be honest I would have liked to find out what caused this in the first place as it seems mysterious. In any case though I seem to have a fully functioning zone again :slight_smile:

Let’s close this support request and many thanks for the great support as always

Best
Yiannis