Playback stops with shorter tracks (0:15 or under) [Ticket In]

@benjamin

Aside from todays ARC access issues that seem to be global, all continues to be going well with gapless playback, otherwise (current early access builds 1203 and associated ARC / Remote builds).

However, I would draw your attention to the fact the are still issues that arise when playing albums that include very short duration tracks, as I detailed upthread and linked to below for ease of reference.

I’ve just played an especially testing example of an album with lots of short tracks, including some sub-10 second tracks via Qobuz (Gescom’s Mini Disc). As was the case previously, an encounter of a sub-10 second track creates a brief buffering/pause ahead of the next track being played.

Playback started at 12:09:42 and I ended it around 12:21, here. There were several examples of sub-10 second tracks that all lead to a brief delay playing the track that followed it (track numbers, names and durations taken from the Roon UI).

Track 4: Cut Begin (Continued) - 0:07 mins
Track 10: A Newer Beginning - 0:06 mins
Track 13: Polarized Beam Splitter (Continued) - 0:08 mins
Track 18: R M I Corporate Id, Pt.1 - 0:08 mins

Playback was on the machine running my core, played back via my DAC/headphone amp.

Roon seemed to handle all other transitions, as far as I could tell, which is something considering what a a challenge this particular recording presents!

I realise this type of playback scenario may appear an edge case, of sorts, and that in all likelihood, the current fix for Qobuz gapless playback addresses the majority of use cases, but I wonder if Roon could comment on the specifics around tracks of this type of duration?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/qobuz-gapless-playback-gone-improvements-released-with-roon-build-1202/225925/316?u=greg_ince

1 Like