Playing different sample rates to the TEAC UD-503 is no longer working with Roon

Hello,

Issue Summary:
Whenever playing shuffle of albums and the next track that Roon plays has a different sample rate than the previous one (ex. 24/96 -> 24/192), Roon can’t play the track and skips to the next. It will keep skipping until a track with the same sample rate is the next song (ex. Roon keeps skipping all 24/192 tracks until 24/96 is the next)
It used to be working fine but I started seeing this since a week or so age.

My Setup:

• what version of Roon you are running
    1.4 (build 306) stable (64bit)
  • What operating system you are running (Windows 7; OSX 10.9; etc)
    OSX 10.13.3
  • Basic information about the device you’re using
    Core: Mac mini (late 2012) 8G ram (please see the attached screen shot for detail)
    DAC: TEAC UD-503 connected directly using USB.
  • Describe where your music is stored
    All music files are stored locally in the same HDD that OSX is running on
  • Let us know your collection size (approximate number of tracks)
    747 tracks

Issue In Detail:
Again, every thing has been working fine for more than a year until a week or so ago.
I noticed that some tracks are skipped during I play shuffling my albums (mix of 24/96 and 24/192).
Then found out that if sample rate of the next track is different from the last track, Roon can’t play the track. After 5 seconds or so, Roon tries to play next track.
While Roon can’t play the track, the DAC (TEAC UD-503) shows no signal coming from Mac.

And Roon does play a track with the same sample rate with the last track that was played fine after skipping all the tracks with different sample rate.
This does not seem to be related to a specific sample rate.
If I start with a track with 24/96 then other than 24/96 tracks will not play.
If I start with a track with 24/192, other than 24/192 tracks will not play.
And those tracks with the sample rate that Roon can’t play will be playable once I power-cycle DAC.
But then other sample rate tracks will not be played.

I thought this may be an issue with my DAC since power-cycling makes the track playable again.
But when I tried the same with Audivana Plus, I see no issues so it may be Roon.

I monitored adio mixer to see what sample rate/bit is set for the DAC while Roon is playing and I noticed that Roon sets sample rate with 32bit whenever Roon can’t play the track. When Roon plays the track, 24bit is always set.
So, I set max sample bit to 24bit but it does not fix the issue. I see Roon still set 32bit.

Currently I work around the issue by setting max sample rate as 96kHz and it seems to be working fine but I haven’t tried tracks with lower than 96kHz.

Any idea what can be wrong and some configuration changes would solve it?
I tried tweaking setting on Roon and DAC but nothing made difference.

@support

I assume you have powered everything down and restarted it. This would be the first thing to do.

Secondly your Mac is using HDD you said…not ideal at all but probably not the main issue at hand and if your library is small maybe tolerable. An SSD is highly recommended.

Yes, I tried rebooting and power-cycling both DAC and Mac but it didn’t help.
And the local drive is SSD. I meant to say local drive, not local HDD.

you could try to enable the DSP up sampling to make all tracks play at 24/192 and see if that works… not the ideal fix as sounds like a bug that the @support guys will try to address or maybe an issue with the DAC. here is what you should try. Don’t forget to turn on the Parallelise Sigma-Delta Modulator option

Hi @Norio_Nakamoto ----- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with, very appreciated!

Moving forward, can you confirm for me of you have tried testing with the “resync delay” enabled (Path: “device setup” > “General”). Furthermore, if you have the ability to do so, can you confirm what the experience is like when streaming to another DAC? I just tried with a PS Audio Perfect wave and had no issues when the sample rate changed (24/192 - > 24/96).

-Eric

1 Like

Ok, I’ll try it later. Thanks.

Hi Eric, thanks for your response.
Yes, I have tried 3s and 5s but it didn’t help.
Looks like the issue happens before resync timer kicks in.
When the track can be played, I see DAC Showa the sample rate on its screen then music starts after the resync timer.
But when the track is not played, DAC does not show anything (shows ready).

Also, I don’t have any other DAC right now but I should be able to test with my new DAP that supports USB-DAC. I will try it and let you know the result.

I just tried. With Max PCM rate, Roon tries to play everything at 768kHz which my DAC doesn’t support so it won’t play anything. But with Max PCM rate (power of 2), it plays everything at 384kHz without any issues.
This is a better workaround than limiting everything to 96kHz. I’ll use this setting for now.
Appreciate your help!

The other option is to use the custom settings to set everything at 24/192 if that’s what you would rather have it at. Up and down sampling as needed for each rate.

@wizardofoz I’d rather use DAC’s up convert so I’d want Roon to send raw data.
But I can probably live with the current workaround.

@Eric I tried with Sony NW-A45 with USB-DAC mode. It’s worse than UD-503. Nothing sent to the DAC until I enabled sample rate conversion to Max PCM rate on Roon. Then 96kHz tracks can be played. As NW-A45’s max sample rate is 192kHz, 192kHz tracks can’t still be played because no conversion happens (?).
Again, I tried with Audirvana Plus and it can play all tracks without sample rate conversion.

I’m afraid these results indicate it’s an issue in Roon. Please let me know if I need to try something else or collect any data.

Also, let me mention again that everything used to work fine before and I have no idea what triggered to start the issue.

Thank you for touching base with me @Norio_Nakamoto, the follow up and insight are both very appreciated!

Continuing forward, I would like to enable diagnostics on your account so our techs can have a closer look into this behavior. However, before I enable this feature may I very kindly ask you for the following:

With the the original elements in place…

My Setup:

• what version of Roon you are running
    1.4 (build 306) stable (64bit)
  • What operating system you are running (Windows 7; OSX 10.9; etc)
    OSX 10.13.3
  • Basic information about the device you’re using
    Core: Mac mini (late 2012) 8G ram (please see the attached screen shot for detail)
    DAC: TEAC UD-503 connected directly using USB.
  • Describe where your music is stored
    All music files are stored locally in the same HDD that OSX is running on
  • Let us know your collection size (approximate number of tracks)
    747 tracks
  • Please reproduce the issue and note the track that was playing/the time when the error occurred. Being as this issue is occurring when the sample rate changes I would recommend adding content of varying sample rates to the queue and letting Roon play. This should easily reproduce the issue.

-Eric

Note: when you perform the data gathering exercise mentioned above please be sure that the DSP engine is not active and all of your playback settings are the exactly the same as when you first reported this issue to us (i.e the same as your screenshots above).

Hi @eric,

Yes, I just tried the original setting with DSP engine disabled and I still hit the same issue.
Roon can’t play if the next track has a different sample rate.

Thanks,
Norio

Thank you for touching base with me @Norio_Nakamoto and sharing what observations were made with the DSP engine disabled. Very appreciated!

By chance have you been able to gather the requested information from my previous?

-Eric

@eric

I’m sorry but I can’t find your instruction in your previous message.
How do I gather information?

Thank you for reaching out @Norio_Nakamoto, let me see if I can clarify my instructions for you. Please see below.

• Please reproduce the issue being experienced:

From your post above:

“Again, every thing has been working fine for more than a year until a week or so ago. I noticed that some tracks are skipped during I play shuffling my albums (mix of 24/96 and 24/192). Then found out that if sample rate of the next track is different from the last track, Roon can’t play the track. After 5 seconds or so, Roon tries to play next track.”

• When the issue is reproduced, please note the following information:

• The time when the error occurred.
    • The name of the track that was being played at the time of the error.

Once I have the above information I will enable the mentioned diagnostics on your account as this action will automatically generate/upload a diagnostics report containing a set of your “Roon” logs directly to our servers.

-Eric

@eric

Thanks, got it. And here’s the info:

time: 3/25 15:26 (PST)
track: ‘Don’t Know Why’

time: 3/25 15:33 (PST)
track: ‘The World Falls Away’

This is the playlist I tested:

1. Giant Steps (24/192) —> played
  2. Don’t Know Why (24/96) —> not played
  3. Cheese Cake (24/192) —> played
  4. The World Falls Away (24/96) —> not played

Hope this help identify the issue.
Norio

Thank you for the follow up @Norio_Nakamoto and providing the requested information, both are very appreciated!

Now that I have a sense of when the error occurred and what was being played at the time of the failure I will go ahead and enable the mentioned diagnostics on your account. A friendly reminder that that this action will automatically generate/upload a diagnostics report direct to our servers the next time Roon is active on your core machine. I will touch base again when we receive the report so you know we have it.

-Eric

@eric
Yes, please go ahead and enable diagnostics any time.
Do I need to reproduce the issue again once diagnostics are enabled?

Norio

Thanks for checking in @Norio_Nakamoto!

Confirming that I have received the mentioned diagnostics report from your system and have passed it over to our tech team for review. Once the team has provide me with some feedback on this behavior you are experiencing I will be sure to follow up you asap.

Your continued patience during this process is very appreciated!

-Eric