Playing different sample rates to the TEAC UD-503 is no longer working with Roon

Hello @Eric,

It’s been a while. Any updates you can share?

Hi @Eric,

I see my Roon is now 1.5 but the issue still persists.
I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling Roon app but it still persists.
I did remove Roon folder in library then run app again. Also tried using backup to restore and starting from scratch. I still get the issue.
It may have started happening after a certain update of Roon.
Is it possible to try older version of Roon?
With the current workaround, playing mix of 96kHz and 192kHz music files is ok but once there are other high sample rate and DSD files, playing them does not work well.
I’d really like to have it resolved. I don’t mind running older version of Roon.
Thanks,
Norio

Hi @Norio_Nakamoto ---- Thank you for touching base with me and sharing the observations you have made after updating to v1.5. My apologies for the continued troubles here.

Moving forward, being as you are still experiencing this behavior after updating to 1.5 I have re-enabled diagnostics on your account so I have an up to date report from your system to send over to our tech team. Once the report has reached our servers I will be sure to confirm we have it and that it makes it over to our techs asap.

-Eric

Hi @eric ,
I’m sorry but since I found that I kept older version of Roon, I went ahead and installed it.
I don’t see the issue with this version (1.3 build 196).
So the issue must be caused by the newer version after this version, most likely the version released in February this year (that’s when I started seeing the issue).
Does this give a clue for what could be causing this?
I’m happy with this older version but let me know if you still need to collect diagnostic data with the current version, I can switch back to it and recreate the issue.

Thank you for the follow up @Norio_Nakamoto!

If you are having issues on v1.5 I definitely want to grab an up to date set of logs from your system. When you have it installed may I kindly ask you to reproduce the issue as you had done previously? Thanks!

Also just as a side note. As a general rule we don’t support downgrading to older builds as this has the potential to cause other issues.

Looking forward to your feedback!
-Eric

Hi @Norio_Nakamoto ----- I wanted to touch base with you here concerning this behavior you are experiencing with the UD-503.

I had a chance to catch up with one of our tech team members this morning to discuss any open support issues and mentioned your ticket. He asked if you would kindly verify what the experience is like with the DAC when you enable the DSP engine in Roon and set the “sample rate conversion” field to “Max PCM rate (power of 2)” .

-Eric

@Eric,

Yes, that is how I work around the issue. If I set MAX PCM rate (power of 2) and max rate as 192kHz in the device setting then switching 192<->96kHz music files has no issues.
Still, I get some issues when more sample rates are mixed (96/192/176/352/DSD128).

Hi @Norio_Nakamoto ---- Thank you for verifying that information for me, very appreciated!

The reason the team had asked to confirm that information is because they are aware of a similar situation with the UD-501 where it will increase it’s sample rate without issue, however the issue is when Roon asks the device to decrease its sample rate. The device will refuse to change it’s sample rate to the new requested rate and playback will fail to start.

From @john’s post here:

-Eric

@Eric,

Thanks for the info. But I don’t think it’s a same issue because;

(1) With my issue, Roon also does not play when increasing sample rate (ex. 96->192) as well as when decreasing
(2) As I reported in this thread, the same issue happens with a different DAC (Sony NW-A45 with USB-DAC mode)
(3) The issue does not happen with older version of Roon (1.3)

It’s apparent that some change made in Roon with 1.4 (build 306) or the version released sometime in February this year is causing this.
Can you narrow down which particular change causes it?

Thanks,
Norio

Hi @Norio_Nakamoto ---- Thank you for the follow and continued feedback/insight. Very appreciated!

I have a meeting setup for later in the week with members of our tech and DEV team to discuss any pending support issues. I am going to be bringing up your report in the meeting to get some additional feedback on this behavior you are experiencing with the UD-503 which I will be sure to pass along to you ASAP.

-Eric

Hi @Eric ,

Any updates?

Hi @Norio_Nakamoto — Thank you for reaching out to us, hope all has been well!

Our tech team has reported to me that they have been able to reproduce a similar behavior in house and are still testing to determine where the issue is occurring (i.e on the OS level or potentially with the unit itself). Once the team provides me an update on their progress I will be sure to share their findings with you asap.

We appreciate your patience during this process!
-Eric

Thanks @eric. Glad to hear that you guys are making progress.

Norio

Hello @Eric ,
Any updates to share?

The issue forces me to use 1.3 but I’d like to use the latest versions.

There were only a couple of releases happened between 1.3 and 1.4 which I first encountered the issue. It should not be very difficult to identify which change causes it. Have you guys been able to identify it?

Thanks,
Norio