Playing music via Tidal is a total mess

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS on quad core i3 / Roon 1.8 build 756 (ethernet)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ubiquiti AP’s and switches. pfSense firewall.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

control: iPhone 8, iOS 14.4, Roon 1.8 build 756, wifi
destination: Raspberry Pi 4/Hifiberry Digi+ Pro/Schiit Bifrost 2/WooAudio WA6-SE (ethernet)

Description Of Issue

Playing music via Tidal is totally hit or miss, and mostly a miss. Pick an artist, click “play now” and getting regular errors like “Unexpected Error: Limiting Roon Radio to library” and then it plays something else.

If instead I try playing an album or specific song, better than 50% chance it starts playing and then throws a similar error after 5-10 seconds and falls back to my local library. Or maybe it actually plays the song and doesn’t update the “now playing” screen… ever. At this point, if I don’t touch it, it seems to keep playing fine… until I decide to play something else and then, it’s back to more errors.

Once in a very great while it actually works properly.

FWIW, this was happening occasionally with 1.7 but 1.8 seems far worse. It also happens not just on my iPhone 8, but other systems running the latest 1.8 build as well.

Ugh, so now I tried playing a track from an album on Tidal and it starts to play. 5-10sec later it skips to the next track. But never does it actually ever show the track as playing. I can’t even stop/pause the track. Restarting the Roon app on my iPhone doesn’t help. Ended up restarting the roonserver on my Ubuntu box.

1.8 is a total disaster and I have to admit regret upgrading.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.