Playing to Sonos skips 8–10 sec of incoming song but still gapless

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Macbook Pro (mid-2009) 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, MacOS 10.11.6, Roon v. 1.7 build 555 (headless)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Gigabit copper directly to core switch Dell 5424

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sonos Play:1 using a SonosNet setup

Description Of Issue

This has happened twice now and appears to be repeatable:

Playing the album God Help the Girl (soundtrack) to a Sonos Play:1 that is wirelessly connected to SonosNet. After about five tracks the incoming track will have the first 8–10 seconds cut off. There is no gap but the track does not begin from the beginning. Happens about four times throughout the album.

Skip back to beginning of track plays fine (first 8–10 seconds play as expected).

This is a gapless album in AAC. Played an ALAC gapless album afterwards that played fine. Then played another AAC album that played fine but wasn’t nearly as “gapless” as God Help the Girl so inconclusive.

Using Sonos streaming option; Sonos app shows it’s playing a FLAC file.

Same album played to a Chromecast via Roon works fine. And of course the same album plays fine using the Sonos app or even Sonophone.

Any ideas?

Hi @Rory_King,

Welcome to the forum!

Is there any change in behavior if you try using WiFi instead of SonosNet?
Are you using the latest Sonos firmware version?

When this behavior occurs, do you see the progress bar slider jump to 8-10 seconds when the track is started, or does the progress bar look like it’s starting from the beginning?

Do you have any DSP turned on for the Sonos zone that isn’t being applied to the Chromecast zone?

No change when switching to WiFi. Using the latest Sonos firmware version.

Progress bar looks like it starts from beginning.

No DSP applied to any zone.

Hi @Rory_King,

Thanks for the additional info. Can you confirm if this same issue occurs via the Airplay input for the Sonos? Or is it just via the Sonos protocol?

No Airplay on that model (Play:1).

Hi @Rory_King,

Can you please reproduce this issue, note the exact local time + date + track it occurs on and let me know this here? Please list all 3-4 times it occurs (since you mention it occurs multiple times).

Also, can you upload the affected album and send it to me as a shared Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox link? Please send a private message (click my name -> message).

3:00p #4 (skipped almost entirely, first time that’s happened; track plays fine individually)
3:08:00p #9
3:10p #11
3:22p #16
3:35p #23
At end of album Roon Remote showed “Nothing Playing” while the last ~90 seconds of music played.

There might be some corruption in the database about this album. It lists the correct number of tracks but omits a title (Partick Whistle) and adds an untitled track at the end of the song list (Partick Whistle did play but with Roon Remote showing the next song as Now Playing). Also noticed on this play through that the Roon Remote was about one song title ahead of what was actually playing.

1 Like

Hi @Rory_King,

Thanks for letting me know those timestamps and for sending the album over!

I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

I have created a ticket for you and have asked our QA team to review the media + logs, once I hear back from QA, I’ll be sure to let you know.

Thanks!

Thanks for looking into it. I’ve been playing that album at random times so they will have some more data points (hopefully).

This morning something new happened with that album: playing it to a Chromecast (Gen 1) the stream would sound like a bad 64 kbps internet radio station. Restarted the track, skipped to the next track, rebooted the Chromecast: no change. Played a different AAC album and it played correctly. This happened around 9:20am, 6/11/20 if that helps.

As a sanity check I streamed that album to the Apple TV 4 through the Computer app (local play) and it played fine. Strangeness.

1 Like

Hi @Rory_King,

Thanks for the additional info. Let’s see what QA comes back with after analyzing the logs + album, I’ll let you know once I have further news.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.