Support for a video library and streaming videos to display devices

I was browsing TIDAL’s catalog via Roon and kept coming across songs that have Official Video in the track title. Come to find out TIDAL actually has music videos available. I don’t see why Roon couldn’t port TIDAL videos over, and keep them separate from our music libraries/radio. I suppose it could be a licensing issue.

I agree I moved away from jriver as it became bloatware and multimedia became its main Dev point.

Why not play Tidal videos from ROON?

Video transport is a huge challenge. Think about it: are you watching the video on whatever control interface you are using for Roon? Is the audio coming out of that device? Would the audio for the video need to come out of the endpoint you were using before you initiated the video? Last question then: is the video you are watching on your local device synched with the audio coming out of the endpoint? My guess is no, this is nearly impossible. Video would need to come out of the endpoint with the audio - and that is Plex.

Considering the growing and overlapping music video availability, specifically BluRay DTS HD Dolby Atmos etc I request that the ROON team consider a pathway to Video within ROON player.

There is a bunch of times I have material that have to play via standard Mac/PC software like VLC because of no support from within the ROON player, which has the way feels soooo 90’s and just plain lo tech.

I know I know… ROON is for Audio… but why limit such great interface to just Audio.

Imagine being able consolidate all HD audio and Video music related material in one player… open your mind to the possibilites and it’s clear ROON for Audio and Videophiles… will be ultimate … come on ROON team please consider.

6 Likes

-1 please don’t polute Roon with video content.

12 Likes

Hey each to there own, I value your opinion either way.

Don’t want another jriver…

4 Likes

Roon team please don’t consider.

4 Likes

-1 for me as well. Roon is for music, Plex for video.

2 Likes

-1 from me too. Apologies to the OP, but Roon is for audio, and that’s where they should concentrate their efforts. There are other apps for video.

1 Like

For Roon to be a truly immersive experience in MUSIC, video would be part of that, at least some formats. For those unaware, you can find decent quality concert/live footage of a really extensive and broad swathe of artists and music on Youtube, for example. Of course there’s also quite a catalog of high quality music on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Imagine if an artist bio or album review mentioned a collaboration that was linked right to a concert video of the two artists collaborating.

It would not have to be JRiver. JRiver involves a lot of design choices that wouldn’t have to be repeated for a video Roon.

That said, Roon has a huge amount of work to do on their core audio product. I don’t see this happening in any reasonably foreseeable timeframe.

That’s partly because of the challenges. Adding video, codec support, completely flipping the potential architecture of how Roon works, all could be major issues. Syncing video on the local device while audio travels to the audio endpoint would be a sizable challenge, and sending both video and audio to an endpoint would basically require Roon to become Plex.

I would certainly rather see Roon perfect the audio product, it having such amazing potential as yet unrealized, than add video and having a just mediocre, do-it-all product.

So in theory I would love it. In practical reality, Roon has to focus on audio.

1 Like

What a long way to say no.

2 Likes

That’s your interpretation of my post. I don’t feel it is accurate.

While I can see the viewpoint with the comments above, it’s a pain to have one system for audio and then another AV system for multichannel Audio…

Not sure of your point in your last post? Roon works wonderfully with multi-channel audio.

Do you want moving dynamic images or multi-channel audio. The only multi-channel format that I am aware of that Roon doesn’t support is Atmos.

1 Like

Not interested in video. Get audio right. It’s completely different from video.

Well looks like a landslide for Audio only, thank you for your comments gentlemen.

1 Like
  • for me, I love my Tidal videos and wish they were available in Roon. For now I have to close Roon go to Tidal desktop and on my HTPC and play the videos. For me the visuals add tremendously to the audio. Seeing the musicians creating the music as they play it add a whole new dimension to the enjoyment.
2 Likes

Agreed, makes sense to add video considering Tidal offers music videos.

Support for blu-ray playback would be great. The thing is even if the ROON team added these features if your a “strictly” audio user of ROON then you don’t have to play back video… ROON continues as is for Audio only subscribers but with the advantage of music video.

1 Like