Organise Playlists with Folders [IMPLEMENTED]

I’d love a way of better playlist organisation too. Something visible and browsable as my memory isn’t great to remember search terms of tags etc. and such filtering adds considerable overhead in library management.

1 Like

This applies to more objects than just playlists. The same could be said for bookmarks, tags, etc.

Tagging tags helps organize, and tagging playlists could be the same, but not as straightforward as a type of folder organization.

I think as a general matter, Roon is allergic to folders organization of any sort.

I gave it some time James, but can’t get used to it, it’s a messy view with horizontal scrolling.

Folders :smirk: for bookmarks would be great too, I stopped creating new ones to prevent long scrolling lists.

1 Like

That seems to be the fundamental problem. As best as I can tell, it is a Roon design philosophy that for some reason is sacrosanct.

1 Like

I believe I may have answered how to do this in my recent post? Or did you mean an internal organization mess (of the software).

(Lifetime member) I know this is an older thread, but I do think it’s a very desirable feature. I get completely why a basic folder structure for viewing local files is not wanted in Roon. However, I have just under 170 playlists including ones in Tidal which are viewed in Roon. Managing all of these is becoming very cumbersome. For example, I run a music club where a group of us meet about every 5 or 6 weeks and all choose tracks on a theme which I set up in Roon - about 30 or so tracks. They are building up. One playlist folder for these would keep them all in one place, and subsequent sub-folders for the year would organise it even more. I can search for ‘Music Club’ in Roon, but it brings them up in an odd order so you spend time looking through one-by-one and Roon also picks up other playlists not required. Scrolling through the 170 playlists just takes time on a PC or mobile (I use both) and on the PC there’s no short cut such as pressing the first letter of the playlist name to take you straight there either. I love Roon and this is really the only thing that bothers me.

Any chance of introducing this feature?

5 Likes

I’m adding my voice to Playlist Groups being a #roon:feature-requests

In summary:

1. Sooloos allowed (or, more precisely, required) Playlist Groups. Exporting from Sooloos, those Group hierarchies disappear. So (in a real example) if someone has 593 playlists in 28 groups, they’re no longer sorted. :-/
  2. In Roon, multiple user Profiles do allow for multiple Playlist groups (e.g., “Jack’s Playlists” and “Jill’s Playlists”), so it seems the framework is there to allow for Groups to be created…preferably without creating 30 different profiles (i.e., not having to make profiles for “Classic Jazz” and “Cool Jazz” to yield “Classic Jazz’s Playlists”, etc.). (Doing so would also make editing the playlists ridiculously complex.)
  3. We could (manually) Tag each Playlist, so the Tags menu option substitutes for the Sooloos’s Playlist Groups … but then we’ll have multiple (in this case 28) Tags that are specific to these Playlists, which starts to cloud the other ways a client could use Tags. It seems more logical to group the playlists rather than tag them, no?

Thanks.

4 Likes

You can Tag playlists

2 Likes

2 Likes

Yes please to the ability to tidy playlists up in folders (and/or copy the Tidal playlist folders)

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

BTW it is not possible to tag a playlist that has been created in iTunes or Tidal
Just tried and it doesn’t work.
I just voted for having a way to group playlist.
A group for all the playlist created in iTunes, a group for the one created in Tidal, and one for the one created in Roon.
Every day there are new daily mixes I am saving as playlist to listen when I have time. I want to put them in a folder for later.
Thanks

Marco

1 Like

Tidal supports Playlist Groups, without creating an organisational mess of UI. But I suppose you’re aware of that. In the meantime, I’m adding my voice to Playlist Groups being a #roon:feature-requests

2 Likes

I like the idea of the curated playlists by Roon (but why isn’t it saved in the same format as and with the information on the frontpage!). Like the Daily Mixes I save them sometimes locally.

But the list is getting longer and longer and longer and longer.
So please add Playlist Folders so I can create order in the organisational mess what it is right now.

2 Likes

Ha Paul, add me to this Don Q club, good luck to us with that one. Years later and Roon still claims playlist folders will destroy – something – not sure what, it never makes any sense. While what Roon actually destroys is entirely tangible, preventing us from accessing our own curated playlist organization.

2 Likes

I don’t use playlists often but I can see the need for this.

2 Likes

1 Like

Almost ~5 years on, but still hoping :wink:

Seriously Roon is long overdue in giving some love to the proper management of playlists.

4 Likes