Playlist Information in Album View disappears

As an extensive playlist user I really love the feature showing which song of an album is in which playlist. Now this information seems to be only temporarily - it disappears after roon restart and it doesn’ t matter if they are imported .m3u or internal Roon playlists. What can I do to make this information stay? See uploaded pics (1-Album view with tracks in playlists from .m3u / 2 - Album view with tracks in playlists from .m3u and Roon Playlist / 3 - Album view after Roon restart … no playlist information left). Thanks. (Core on 2014 iMac internal SSD, Mojave, files on external Thunderbolt HD)

1 Like

Hi @Peter_Buchen ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The inisght is greatly appreciated!

Moving forward, I just ran a quick test to see what is displayed when I add the contents of a TIDAL album to a Roon generated playlist followed by a restart of my “test Roon core”.

I have now restarted my Roon core three times and the tracks in the above screenshot all retained the desired
information in regard to the playlist they had been added to (i.e "Test). I am going to place feedback request with our tech team to see why you may be experiencing a different behavior then me and will provide you with their feedback once the request has been fulfilled.

In the meantime however, I would like to propose a small test to see if we can trigger a change in behavior here. Kindly see below for instructions.

1. Please create a backup of your Roon DB.
  2. Once the backup has been created please close all active instances of the Roon application (remotes, etc).
  3. Next, locate your Roon database according to these instructions
  4. Rename the entire Roon folder to roon_old (do not delete this folder)
  5. Relaunch Roon, sign in, and configure a new install
  6. After you have configured a new install with a fresh DB in place can you please try reproducing this behavior again and sharing what the experience is like with me?

Thanks!
-Eric

Hello Eric, thank you for the quick reply. I did the small test as you recommended, but it didn’t change anything. In the meantime I tried different constellations and I found a way that works for me, as I mostly work with imported .m3u playlists (exported from iTunes).

1. I generated a playlist in Roon, added a title from the library -> Roon retained the desired
    information in regard to the playlist they had been added after restart, same as you did :grinning:

2. Playlists imported from .m3u (the ones that only appear when you check “shared playlists” in the playlists overview:

• Playlist information appears directly after playlist import
  • Playlist information disappears after Roon restart :unamused:
  1. When you view an imported playlist, press the 3 dots on the right, choose “add to a playlist”, create a new playlist in roon and all titles are in a Roon playlist now
  • Playlist information appears directly after playlist creation
  • Playlist information disappears after Roon restart :unamused:
  1. When you view an imported playlist, mark all titles in the playlist, press the upper 3 dots (where it says … selected), choose “add to a playlist”, create a new playlist in roon and all titles are in a Roon playlist now
  • Playlist information appears directly after playlist creation
  • Playlist information stays after Roon restart :grinning:

So I will do 4) about 110 times (all my imported playlists) and I will be fine!

Thanks and greetings from Germany,
Peter

Hi @Peter_Buchen ----- Thank you for the follow up and giving the proposed test a shot. The feedback is greatly appreciated and my apologies for the delayed response on my end.

While I am glad to hear that you have found a work around to this behavior I do have a few questions regarding the referenced M3U playlists.

1. Do any of these playlist contain full albums?

2. Are there any other Roon user’s in your house hold who’s profile you may be accidentally looking at? Playlists are going to be linked to the users’ profile where they were created/imported from.

Thanks!
-Eric

Hello Eric,

1. The playlists I tested with don’t contain full albums. If necessary, I can look through all the others, too. Is it?
  2. No other Roon users in my household.

I tried it once again, because I have the feeling it should actually work out, right? I use the software “Playlist Export” to export my iTunes playlists into .m3u, they are located in my (iTunes) Music Folder, together with all the music files. This is also the folder Roon watches out for (Pic1). Now I have 2 Jazz Favs playlists in Roon, one public from .m3u and one that I created in Roon (Pic2). Both playlist informations appear (Pic3). After Roon restart only the information of the playlist created in Roon is left.

after Roon restart:

Peter

Thanks for getting in touch @Peter_Buchen and providing the requested feedback!

Hopefully we won’t need anymore media but I would like to have a look at one of your M3U files that is having this issue. Would it be possible for you to share one with me via a shared dropbox link (or another upload service of your choosing) in a PM addressed to me?

Many thanks!
-Eric

Ok, I’ve uploaded one .m3u to Dropbox, now how do I send you a PM???

Great thanks @Peter_Buchen! You can send me a the download link by clicking my “community icon” and then selecting “message”.

Thanks!
-Eric

Maybe I’m blind… but where exactly does it say "message?

I click on your icon:

I click on your icon again:

Hey @Peter_Buchen — I think your eye sight is fine :wink: but being as you are a “new user” on the community site you may not have been able to send PMs yet. I just changed your status from “new user” to “basic user”. Can you give that another shot for me?

-Eric

@Peter_Buchen — Confirming that I have seen your PM and downloaded the requested M3U file, thanks again for that!

I will review the M3U and then share my thoughts/findings with you once I have completed my evaluation. Your patience during this time is appreciated!

-Eric

Hello @Peter_Buchen,

Thank you for your report. I just wanted to touch base with you here and let you know that we have been able to reproduce similar behavior on our end when importing M3U playlists and as such I have requested QA to take a closer look at this behavior. I will be sure to let you know once I hear back from QA regarding what could be going on here, I appreciate your patience in the meantime while they investigate.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Peter_Buchen,

I wanted to update you here and let you know that QA has been able to reproduce this behavior and has filed a ticket with our dev team regarding it. While I cannot comment on a timeline of when this ticket will reach our dev team’s queue, I just wanted to let you know that a ticket is filed regarding this behavior. Thanks again for your report and I will be sure to let you know once I receive any updates regarding this issue.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Updating this to a 2021 issue. Playlists have disappeared in 1.8. I will try things like restarting my core. Can anyone from Roon tell us if this is a glitch or was this feature taken away? Every day I look at albums and their tracks to see if the song I am enjoying is in one of my playlist or not. Losing that ability removes one of the most important features for me, and my guess is for a lot of people.

1 Like

I agree Steven, this feature seems to be taken away - and this really sucks.

1 Like