Playlists Tidal do not work in Roon

Hi,

just started the trial in Roon. Did the same in 2016. This update is big and I’m impressed. Discovered a problem though that’s quite annoying, at least for me; the syncing of the Tidal playlists.
Looked this up in other ‘playlist’ topics but resyncing and rebooting as suggested by Roon does not help. The playlists still counts zero tracks.
A strange thing happened when I added a new track to an existing playlist in Tidal. This ‘ignited’ something in Roon and it synced with all my playlists except for the song I just added in Tidal! Resyncing did not help to get this new song. I use Roon on a Mac Mini (the Core) with OSX El Captain installed (for the speed) The ‘Controls’ in my network on other computers and phone work fine, but of course the same problem with the playlists. Another thing is that when you want to add tracks in Roon to an existing playlist (in Tidal), these playlists are not there. You can only make a new playlist and cannot choose.
On my Andoid Samsung S8 I can’t type in a name for a new playlist in the Roon app. The keyboard field flashes up and down immediately.
Summarizing my problems in this trial period: it’s all about playlists not working and not syncing. Is Roon busy fixing these issues? Can’t imagine I’m the only one, and it sure looks like a bug. Hope to hear from you soon Roon, my trial ends in two weeks… But compliments for all the rest of the software! Best regards, Paul.

Thank you for your report, @Paul_Gies!

A strange thing happened when I added a new track to an existing playlist in Tidal. This ‘ignited’ something in Roon and it synced with all my playlists except for the song I just added in Tidal! Resyncing did not help to get this new song.

How long has it been since the addition was made to the TIDAL playlist? If you go to Settings > Services > TIDAL Edit, when was the Last Library Sync? Is this a playlist owned by you or a different account?

Another thing is that when you want to add tracks in Roon to an existing playlist (in Tidal), these playlists are not there. You can only make a new playlist and cannot choose.

As mentioned in our TIDAL playlist documentation, you cannot edit TIDAL playlists in Roon at this time. You can, however, save a local copy of the playlist by selecting the 3 dots for options, selecting edit, and then clicking “Save A Local Copy”.

On my Andoid Samsung S8 I can’t type in a name for a new playlist in the Roon app. The keyboard field flashes up and down immediately.

Are you using the default keyboard? Is this happening anywhere else in Roon, or just in this one spot? Is this happening with any other remote devices?

Regards,
Dylan

Hello Dylan,

thanks very much for your reply,
answers to your 3 questions in 3 blocks:

2 days ago and I synced and rebooted but nothing happened. But I see the track is in the library now! I added another number and synced and rebooted but again it does not appear.

ah, so that’s the trick; make a local copy within Roon and move on with this one. Indeed now I can add tracks etc. I would like to delete the Tidal playlist but then it deletes the one from Tidal also I understand. If Roon is gonna be my default music app this shouldn’t be a problem. But you can’t choose to keep it on Tidal also…

Yes, when touching the ‘name’ field, the default keyboard flashes upward but disappears immediately. And yes, it also happens on the ‘share ttrack’ page; not possible to fill in a name, album or track and, much worse, in the top ‘search’ field. I use the latest Android software. This does not happen on my remote iMac. I’m an Apple user but not a fan of the iPhone, so Android and OSX together are having trouble maybe?

Best,
Paul

Thanks for the details, @Paul_Gies!

There is a delay between when the playlists are updated in TIDAL and when they become available in Roon. The sync process for playlists is a little different than some of the other syncs with TIDAL. I am going to be passing over what you’ve reported to the technical team to see what they can come up with in house for this. I’ll be sure to let you know more when I hear back from them.

Thanks for the additional information on this. In the past we have seen certain keyboards on Android use a “Full Screen Mode” that can cause some difficulties. In the settings for that keyboard, do you see a full screen mode you can disable? If you use a different keyboard (such as Google Keyboard) do you still experience this?

Regards,
Dylan

Answering your second question:

no, not a full screen mode and tried it with Google Keyboard, but the same happens…

Regards,
Paul

Thanks for giving that a try, @Paul_Gies!

I just had a meeting with the technical team, and I have an update for you on a couple of these topics.

Samsung Keyboard

For the Samsung keyboard issue you are seeing, please review this documentation from Samsung about disabling Full Screen Mode. Please try disabling Full Screen Mode for Roon and let me know if this works for you.

TIDAL Playlist Updates

I got a little more information about the way that we update playlist changes in TIDAL. There is a workaround that should push changes over instantly if you need to.

1. Shutdown your Roon Core
  2. Find and open your Roon database
  3. Navigate to /Library/Roon/Cache
  4. Move the contents of the /Cahce folder elsewhere, like your desktop
  5. Try restarting Roon and syncing Tidal

This will clear your TIDAL cache in Roon and should trigger a sync that will update your TIDAL playlists.

Our technical team is investigating if there is a way we can make improvements here as well. I can’t make any promises or offer any timeframes, but they are looking into this process. I will keep you updated on their investigation as they get back to me on their findings.

Regards,
Dylan

Hello Dylan,

thanks and yes, solved. Full screen mode must be off with Roon in Samsung S8.

As for the playlists syncing, I will wait for future improvements. Making a local copy and not use Tidal but only Roon works fine for me now.

Best, Paul

1 Like

Hey @Paul_Gies,

Thank you for your patience as the team has been looking into this! I spoke with the technical team regarding their investigation on TIDAL playlist syncs, and they’ve asked that I reach out and ask that you perform a test so we can gather a little more data about exactly what you’re experiencing. Please follow the steps below and let me know when you’re all finished:

1. Login to the TIDAL app or web player.
  2. Add a track/album to a playlist using TIDAL web player or app.
  3. Navigate to the playlist in the TIDAL app/web player and confirm the track/album has been added. Please include a screenshot of the track/album in the playlist.
  4. Sync Roon Library with TIDAL (Settings > Services > TIDAL Edit > Sync Library Now). Make a note of the time that you do this sync.
  5. Check the playlist in Roon and confirm whether or not the track/album has been added to the playlist.

Once you do this, please let me know and include the screenshot mentioned above. We will then enable diagnostics on your account and review the report in relation to the timestamp that you note.

Regards,
Dylan

Hi Dylan,
the very strange thing is that my ‘old’ playlist in Tidal ‘Paul’s favourites’ does not work but newer playlists do.
I’ve made two test playlists and when syncing in Roon they showed the track I added. The same thing happened in ‘Art’s Excellence’ playlist. So the only playlist that keeps the 53 tracks in Roon (and not 57 in Tidal) after syncing (and is not adding tracks in Roon) is the ‘Paul’s favourites’. I did this quickly after each other, within minutes. I’ve uploaded the screenshots as you asked within this reply. Is this enough data for the team to see what’s wrong?

Thanks @Paul_Gies,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team along with the screenshots and details provided for further analysis.

-Dylan

A post was split to a new topic: TIDAL playlists not syncing to Roon