Please add a “How To” for SMBV1 on Windows 10 to the guide

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

PrimeMini4 (Core i7 with 8GB) with ROCK Version 1.7 (build 528) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

FritzBox 7540
on one LAN port: FritzRepeater 3000
on one LAN port: Longshine 16-port gigabit switch LCS 6S8116A

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Onkyo TX-RZ 3100 (Chromecast via LAN)
Raumfeld Stereo Cubes (Chromecast via Wifi)
upcoming: Hifiberry with DAC+ Pro

Description Of Issue

I suggest to add more info to the guide on how to access the Samba share on the ROCK via Windows 10. ROCK does not run before installing ffmpeg to the shared folder, so having access to that folder is indispensable. However, on Windows 10, it is not possible to get access to that folder by following the current guide.

Reasons:

• Windows 10 is becoming the standard of Windows OS because the support for Windows 7 ran out and the support for Windows 8 will run out soon
  • ROCK uses Samba V1 (SMB1) for the network share
  • On Windows 10, SMB1 is no longer installed (I don’t mean activated, I really mean installed, they removed it with one of the updates of Windows 10 due to security issues)
  • It takes hours to find all the necessary info on how to install SMB1 on Windows
  • Also, what was really hard to find because it is not documented in the guide is the fact that ROCK uses a share w/o credentials
  • You need to set a registry flag to make shares like that available in Windows 10, namely set AllowInsecureGuestAuth to 1 in the folder
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
  • This is something that is even hard to figure for tech savvy advanced users
4 Likes

Hi @Rohangis_Mohseni,

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll make sure that this gets added for future use.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.