Please help - Thinking of leaving Roon

I have a AT&T smart home extender on the desk beside my Mac, which is connected to one of the ports on the extender. Works great. However aside from my phone I only stream to an AirPod
Mini one floor up so I’m not stressing the network much.

If you insist on using WiFi, then I would leave Roon and choose a lesser app.

Good luck

I had hoped by me mentioning equipment setup, better WiFi equipment gives better results. If OP has a 300N WiFi router and 15 or more devices all sharing it, the throughput to each will be poor. Up and down link speeds massively affected and will suffer dropouts and equipment not being able to connect to WiFi.

The main thing folks seem to miss when it comes to Wi-Fi (and PLC) is that they are dynamic, i.e. they change with time - and those changes can be brought on by things outside your home and outside your control. People say things like “my wi-if is rock solid”, “I have Eero” etc. but ignore the fact that a microwave oven starting up nearby, a cordless phone ringing, or a neighbour’s AP at full power just happening to auto-switch to your channel, can all cause a stream to fail suddenly. With wired, the only dynamic factors that can really affect you are contention in the switch and/or backhaul, but these are factors that should normally be under your control.

I agree with the suggestion to try wired ethernet, purely as a diagnostic step. First with the core and if that doesn’t help with the Phantoms. Even if you have to move the core or run cables up the stairs. It will help you eliminate the biggest variable here.

4 Likes

Let’s try and help the OP.

Excuse me, but that was my attempt. Since the product came out, Roon and the world have strongly advised against using WiFi for the core.

2 Likes

Your choice

1 Like

Fully agree.

Just pointing out you can run a Roon Core and endpoints etc and a host of other devices on WiFi without drama. WiFi router capabilities are to be considered.

Electrical interference, whilst can affect WiFi amongst other things.

My WiFi stay “rock solid” when the wife is cooking, using the microwave, dishwasher on, washing machine on, tumble drier on and vacuum cleaning all going.

You can run your Roon core on WIFI, but if you have less than perfect success, that’s the first place to look.

But you can use wi-fi effectively without issues in the correct setup.

If the OP replies with network equipment type and setup we might be able to say why they’re having issues. We might all say get it connected via ethernet in the end anyway.

Not trying to be a smart ass here, but I just try to imagine “what would I do if this were me?”

it really sounds like with those 3 TIDAL-ready streamers and no local files you might be better served just using the TIDAL app or Tidal Connect rather than trying to run Roon Core over Wi-Fi? Assuming you are resolute that running a wired ethernet connection is out of the question.

You don’t say what kind of Mac you are using, but if its not a multi purpose machine and it is something small like a Mac mini, if I were in your boat I’d consider putting the Mac right next to my router and running an ethernet cable between them.

I think after all is said and done your stark choices are going to be 1) Get a wired connection or 2) Switch from Roon

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the feedback! It’s a basic router from the phone company… I’m sure that if I follow the advice given, things would probably improve. But my point is, every other thing works… including multiple people in the house simultaneous streaming hi res video. Tidal works just fine on the app and through the Naim app. The only thing that doesn’t work is Roon. If this software requires better hardware than everything else, the problem isn’t the inferior hardware… just saying

Roon requires a very robust network and ethernet connection. If you can’t get ethernet to your core, get your core to the ethernet. The idea of running Roon core on a Mac Mini is a good one. Or, build a NUC.

I’ve learned over time that what I conclude “should work” and “does work” aren’t always the same thing.

Also, if all you were doing were streaming files from some Roon server in the cloud with no library, no DSP, no database, just a stream, and - oh yeah, if the stream adjusted audio quality on the fly as do video streaming services based on network conditions… Roon might behave similarly.

But Roon’s different. That’s why were here.

I wish you luck and happy listening

Video will drop frames on WiFi interruptions, roon won’t.
Other streams are sending FLAC, and may degrade that, depending on the endpoint to unpack it. Roon does that in the server and sends a full PCM (as in CD coding) stream across the WiFi.
Oranges and apples.

1 Like

I could be wrong but I thought Roons pulls Flac files from Tidal/Qobuz. Does it’s magic and spits out WAV file streams to the endpoints. This’ll be the need for a robust network.

An ISP companies one box wonder IMHO has poor Wi-Fi (signal strength and througput management) and will cause issues. But saying that I have a Virgin Media Superhub 3 and if all kit in the same room it does work. But as per OP I don’t like all my equipment in one room for many reasons.

And that’s why I moved to a Unifi network.

PCM not WAV.

1 Like

Yes, Pulse Code Modulation(PCM) is a subclass of the Microsoft waveform (.WAV) file format.

Saw your post after I wrote mine.

No, not the right context. Roon delivers raw audio data, not files. Nothing to do with WAV. And PCM existed before Windows or even Microsoft for that matter.

AJ

3 Likes

I can understand why you may not want to move your iMac. Have you considered getting a dedicated device like a Mac mini for your core? Even an older one will do. Roon works great on my 2014 Mac mini connected to my router via ethernet. WiFi is ok for consumption devices, but in general not a good idea for servers.

1 Like