Plugging hard drive in and out while Roon on

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon Nucleus with USB to external hard drive.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Verizon Wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
USB to pre-amp
HDMI to a surround sound processor.

Description Of Issue
Is it safe to leave the Roon Nucleus “On” when I remove my external hard drive to load some more songs on it, and then plug it back in when I’m finished with that? Or do I need to power off first?

Disable storage first, transfer files, then re-enable and you’re safe…

Thanks for the prompt response. You will have to excuse me, being a pretty newbie to this stuff, but can you explain what you mean by “disable” and “re-enable” storage? My storage is in an external hard drive that I unplug from the Nucleus, transfer tracks to it on my iMac, and plug back in to the Nucleus.

I don’t actually have a Nucleus, but don’t see a need for you to shut down the Nucleus.

… in ROON on your remote device, go into SETTINGS then STORAGE and click the three dots to the right of your external hard drive, then click DISABLE there, before you unplug it.
Once files are transferred to it and it is re-plugged to the Nucleus ENABLE it in the same manner.
The screen-shot was meant to show you where it’s done without using words…good luck

Actually I would probably shut down the Nucleus or Rock as the server is still communicating with the drive even if you disable the drive in the storage settings probably and even if you stop the roon server.

Lets see what @support has to say

While your drive is connected to Nucleus, it as shared in your network. You can transfer files over the network.
Otherwise, I will shut down the Nucleus before disconnecting the drive.

thank you. are you from Roon support?

No, I’m a regular user.

Hi @Alan_Wishnoff,

Yes, it is safe to leave the Nucleus on and remove the external hard drive, I would just make sure that all file transfers have completed before removing the drive.

You can also leave the drive connected and transfer the content over SMB (Samba), by accessing \\NUCLEUS\Data\Storage\ or smb://NUCLEUS/Data/Storage/ from a PC on the same network.

You don’t need to disconnect the drive. Just copy your music files over to it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.