[Poll] Gauging the overall mood

:japanese_ogre:

I keep seeing this, and I’m trying to figure out what the hubbub is.

This is for local files, correct? (I have lots of local files, but just confirming the terminology.)

Do people NEED a bigger waveform? Do people use the waveform in some specific way that a less-dramatic waveform is creating an issue?

Seriously not trying to be flippant, but I see this as being a show-stopper for some users and I’m trying to figure out why.

I can see this information being interesting to explore once a month or so if it had its own tab. Name the tab “Usage” or something. But it has far more prominence than my music, like Discover. When I look at the Usage stats in Roon, I think “yeah, that makes sense” and move on. But it has become an obstacle to getting to my music and we are only a few days in.

When Apple started providing usage stats, I thought it was interesting, but now it is just so predictable. I KNOW my usage patterns at this point. The only reason I would want to see usage stats is if I want to change bad behavior.

5 Likes

Standard rule in marketing. You are reluctant to share your positive views but very willing to share your negative views.
I am happy such a poll is being conducted.

I would love to see what the new UI looks like, but my system has been completely broken by this new update. roon core won’t start and there is no workaround.

I had noticed that in my system the waveform did not closely follow the song dynamics anyway. So, I am not affected by the new size of it in 1.8. I even like it :smile:
It is mainly a cosmetic thing for me, and also a quick check to see if I am playing from my local file or from Tidal.

There are lots of nice little touches I’m finding as I use 1.8. For instance, when I go back to Playlists it keeps my previous position whereas 1.7 always jumped right back to the top. Thanks for improving this - my scroll wheel appreciates it! :grinning:

1 Like

I wish it would keep previous position in other areas. Some of the bounces back to the top of pages are very jarring.

1 Like

my memory is so short I don’t even remember what it looked like in 1.7 – so i guess i don’t know what i’m missing

1 Like

I also notice this. If I am exploring a list and click into that album, going back to the list puts me far up the list…but it isn’t even at the top of that list. Not sure why yet.

1 Like

The colors on the pie chart are not distinctive. If the legend was not presented in order of %s accordingly, I couldn’t read it just by using legend color-wise. Which blue represents what, a problem that can’t be solved by legend colors alone, which makes use difficult. Sorry, not a native English speaker here :slight_smile:

Excellent post!

1 Like

Perfect summary of the problems, thanks!
I think we all totally agree. Take note, Roon…
Without the previous tag system and overall functionality, Roon itself is useless. Now it’s little more than what you normally have with Tidal, so why we should pay so much more? 1.8 is just cosmetic at the expense of functionality…1.7 was no perfect, but if you are not capable of better in that, at least don’t get worse!

1 Like

I’m hoping 1.9 comes with a sense of humor :roll_eyes:

I liked 1.8 fine until I realized track tags are gone. WTF? Very negative is my response, until that comes back. You can no longer see what playlists a track belongs to. I don’t see where you can reorder tracks in a playlist by dragging, either.Those key features have been stripped out. Who thought that was a good idea?

I’d already been feeling like Roon has ulterior motives than servicing their paying customers, and the said paying customers are becoming more of a means to an end as opposed to the primary concern. What with the increasingly excessive focus on streaming services at the expense of personal collections, etc. This change takes that up another notch. If track tags do not reappear, I’m out. Will be demanding a prorated refund and peacing out. That’s not a threat, simply the way it is.

I can do the same windows 10 server/ Raspberry Pi client I have now, with Plex. Of course it’s not as feature rich, but Roon is stripping away features! Or perhaps JRiver can be a solution. I don’t know what Roon is doing here but it’s not going in a direction that works for me.

Edit: Karen helpfully pointed out to grab the six dot thing to the left of the track and you can still reorder playlists. I swear I tried that before. It works now. Not trying to be super negative here. I do like the new updated UI. Bring back track tags, though, please!

Terrific (and IMHO constructive) summary – thanks @k6davis !

1 Like

@terzinator – I agree that this is not (to me) in itself a deal-breaker. However, it is (to me!) a negative for when I listen to local classical music files. It has been very useful to know when the lulls and crescendos are, because I turn the volume way up at lulls. A detailed waveform lets me know in advance when to turn the volume down ahead of a crescendo so I don;t deafen myself and annoy everyone else in the room. This ability is now reduced. I’m guessing many other listeners to local classical music feel similarly… (but maybe I’m wrong!) Hope that made sense.

1 Like

makes perfect sense, but I’ve never thought to use it this way. (Generally I’m not watching the app/waveform this closely to actively monitor volume.)

Hi Lee, the 6 little dots on the left of each track (which look like a domino with a value of 6) are the grab handles for moving tracks around within a playlist.

Hi Karen, thanks! I swear I tried that before. But it’s working now. Thanks again. If only track tagging will be returned. I’m holding out hope it’s a bug but we’ve not heard anything from Roon that I’m aware of.

1 Like