[POLL] how do you feel about the new UI & do you use desktop or mobile

I have a strong guess / hypothesis that people who use desktop feel very differently from those who use mobile, and this is a primary axis on which the UI feelings break down.

Note: if you use both desktop & mobile, can you pick one of the two and answer how you like the UI for that version?

I know this isn’t a perfect poll but I’d be very interested to hear what you think:

Your primary remote and how you like the new UI
  • I primarily use a large screen (laptop / desktop) & I LIKE the new UI
  • I primarily use a large screen (laptop / desktop) & I DISLIKE the new UI
  • I primarily use a *mobile device * (tablet / phone) & I LIKE the new UI
  • I primarily use a *mobile device * (tablet / phone) & I DISLIKE the new UI

0 voters

And yes, I’d love to have cross tabs for monitor resolution, Mac/Win, Android vs iOS, etc. but I think this could be very constructive.

What about adding a “I use a large screen / mobile an equal amount” and like / dislike ? Its only two more options but covers my and I’d imagine many others actual experience.

Office listening on a computer, and the rest of the day is on mobile.

1 Like

I love the change to be able to use portrait mode on my iPad now. For me this was a great change.

4 Likes

I’ll take the survey methodology “high ground” and say that given we will only get a relatively small n, I’d rather make someone like you choose a use case as primary, than get a weird read. But this is not real science :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use a large screen and mobile device, so I cannot answer to this pool (this option is missing).

Can you pick one and answer how you like the UI on that one? I know it’s hard, but I always say when designing a survey that giving people a “I do x & y equally” choice tells you less. Thanks!

Ok, done now.

1 Like

Hmm, during the day, I sit behind my desktop and use & like the UI on my Windows PC. At 16:00 I move to the living roon and use & like the UI on either my Android smartphone or my Windows tablet. So I use all modes quite happily.

If I’m editing, though, the Windows 10 UI is the only way to go.

Just don’t say I didn’t warn you that I wasn’t alone :slight_smile:

Oh, I completely believe you’re not alone. If I had the ability to ask a series of six questions and get raw (if anonymous) data for each respondent and could run cross tabs, I could verify a lot and people wouldn’t have the false choices. In this survey I’m forcing two questions into one, and that sucks, but it’sa natural limitation of otherwise very good forum software. Presumably team Roon will do that exercise. I wouldn’t presume to tell them how to do their jobs, but I want to satisfy my curiosity and if I’m right or wrong, get the data out there.

1 Like

This is an all or nothing poll. I can’t really provide any real feedback as the choices don’t match my use models.

I extensively use a large screen on a laptop/desktop and the UI is ok for me.

I extensively use a mobile device (tablet) and the UI is great for me.

I extensively use a mobile device (phone) and the UI good for me.

Make what you want of that input…

2 Likes

Agreed, this is a big improvement!

2 Likes

I wish I could set it up so you could say what you want about each interface… that’s my real question. But I can’t… and I’m not going to go build a survey monkey. Thanks for sharing perspective :slight_smile:

No worries. I appreciate the intent and tried to provide the best feedback I could…:slight_smile:

You could have just added two (or three) separate polls, anyone coming to this would be happy to vote multiple times?

On Computer
  • Like the new design
  • Don’t like the new design

0 voters

On Tablet
  • Like the new design

0 voters

On Mobile
  • Like the new design

0 voters

Edit. Actually you can just allow picking multiple items, so could have done it all in a single poll…

Doesn’t work for the purpose, because you can’t see correlations. Unless you can collect individual responses.

I was considering adding another option to vote for your preferred type but felt I had already taken enough space. Correlation between what though? Someone didn’t vote for mobile, indicating they don’t use one. In the end you will know the most popular format desktop/tablet/mobile and if the new design is appreciated.

Maybe roon should put out a user survey instead of your crackpot approach.

I use a large screen Win10 as my primary, but what I really love is my Bluetooth keyboard, navigating is so good with keyboard shortcuts, and my keyboard also has a track pad, so easy scrolling.

1 Like